2015 MBP w/ Retina help needed - 128GB vs. 256GB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bill Killer, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Bill Killer macrumors 6502

Hi all,

So I'm inquiring regarding the SSD space I should go for on the new Macbook Pro with Retina Display. This will be a secondary device, with my iMac during the bulk of the heavy lifting in regards to storage space. I would love some advice.

-Photos would be on an external drive attached to my iMac
    -Music, Movies, and all iTunes related files will be on an external drive attached to my iMac
    -iBooks files will be on iMac

Macbook Pro would consist of:
    -All the basic productivity suites (Office/iWork) downloaded and used
    -Local storage on MBP would consist of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PDF, and some iWork files
    -Occasionally an album of photos to create a hardcover scrapbook in Photos will be used on MBP
    -Some light gaming (nothing crazy - SimCity, RCT2....)
    -Audio and video streaming
    -Internet browsing, YouTube
    -Anything important I'd download to MBP would be moved or sync'ed with Google Drive, Dropbox, iCloud, and iMac
    -Some basic apps will be downloaded (Skype, MLBTV, TurboTax, VLC...)
    -Some basic gaming emulators (N64, Gamecube...) will be used. Mostly for Mario.
    -Harmony remote sync'ing will be used on MBP
    -No plans to dual boot with Windows

Thoughts? Does the OS take up so much space on the 128GB that it makes even the most basic everyday usage a struggle with space? Should I just bite the bullet and pay $200 for double the space?

Again, this laptop will be a secondary and travel device.

Thank you!

2. bmclaurin macrumors member

bmclaurin

I would get the 256 without hesitation. Much faster and more future proof.

3. Yanman macrumors newbie

4. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Because you are planning to have iTunes and related files (movies, music, etc.)and also photos on another drive altogether, then the 256 GB SSD should be sufficient. I have the late 2013 13" rMBP with the 256 GB SSD and, like the other poster here, also I have a Transcend JetDrive Lite ( 64 GB capacity, plugged into the machine's SD slot). Right now I've dumped extra things that I want available on there, and this gives me some breathing room on both the primary SSD and the supplemental drive.

That said, when the new 2015 rMBP came on the scene, I decided that now would be the time to jump into a machine with 512 GB SSD and 16 GB RAM.....the machine upon which I am now typing. For my particular needs the 256 GB SSD really just didn't feel quite large enough, but that is because I do have an ever-growing iTunes library.

In your case, the 256 GB SSD should be just fine and you'll appreciate having some extra breathing space as time goes on.

The machine itself is terrific -- very fast and responsive, and the retina screen is amazing. Go for it!

5. totten76 macrumors regular

totten76

Definately go with the 256 GB....after updates to the OS and especially when a replacement for Yosemite comes along, pictures, and music will push the 128 very quickly. And the 256 is faster

6. Bill Killer thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the help everyone. Ordered the 256gb 2015 model via amazon (had $750 in trade in credits), and it will be in my hands on Friday!

7. taelan28 macrumors regular

Get the 256. I've got 128 and though I can make it work because Im a casual user 256 would make me feel comfortable about managing my data over the next 3-4 years.