2015 MBPr 13" battery draining problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Screw4Two, May 22, 2015.

1. Screw4Two macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've just acquired a MBPr directly from the Apple store 2 days ago but I've noticed the battery was draining pretty fast. I was wondering if this was normal in the first few usage of the computer. Here are some examples

From 100% to 90% in just over 30 minutes
    From 85% to 80% in under 10 minutes
    From 80% to 71% in 9 hours in sleep mode

All of that with only chrome opened with two tabs, except from sleep mode I had exited all applications. I've now uninstalled chrome and went back to safari as I heard chrome is a killer.

The only other app that could be causing a problem is my VPN, PrivateInternetAccess, which I also quit to see if it was source of the problem.

Here are two screen shots of the activity monitor as of yesterday and a few minutes ago

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As of right now, it's 10:03 and 62% with 9:37 remaining.

p.s. I'm concerned because I have very bad luck with laptop. My first Yoga had a defective battery (wouldn't hold 2-3 hours), had to send back, no more in stock so I got a Samsung Series 9 which I received with a broken keyboard, had to send back to get a replacement.

I'm also very concerned because I leave out of the country Monday for 6 months, so I really hope nothing is wrong!

----------

It's now 10:06 with 61% and 9:07 remaining.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Just use the computer as you would any computer.

Turn the percentage indicator off, it's a rough estimate at best.

Your battery life will fluctuate depending in your usage.

3. Screw4Two thread starter macrumors newbie

It must have been Chrome or my VPN, now lost 10% in a hour with Safari, which is good!

*phew

4. SE43 macrumors member

Definitely without a doubt Chrome. Is very well known battery eater (And RAM eater)

Try to stick to Safari on battery and only use Chrome if you really need to.

Google are aware and have said they're going to work on reducing it (Both RAM usage and battery usage).

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Chrome a is known, poorly coded, ressource hog of a browser. Stop using it, problem solved.

6. Screw4Two thread starter macrumors newbie

I stopped using Chrome, and all seems good now. The only thing I'm worry about is the almost 10% gone in 9 hours of sleep mode.

That doesn't normal to me

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It depends on what is happening in the background. Do you have Power Nap enabled?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204032

8. Screw4Two thread starter macrumors newbie

It's turned off. Maybe it was something with Chrome or my VPN. I will check next time I put my computer in sleep mode.

Thanks for all the answers guys!

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

It's actually quite normal.

You should it see go down roughly 1% per hour. Yours is within spec.

10. Screw4Two thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds good, thanks. Anyway I usually turn off the computer if I'm not using it

11. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

A new machine would also likely have been Spotlight indexing, that will also use additional cycles and battery until completed...

12. Screw4Two thread starter macrumors newbie

That also makes sens. The more I use it, the better it gets. It only dropped 1% over the past 15 minutes, which is awesome.

Also didn't loose any % while on sleep mode for a few hours earlier. I'm glad the battery is good finally :D

Thank for you help everyone!