2015 MBPr running crazy hot surfing web. 2 days old.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tconlin, Apr 26, 2015.

1. tconlin macrumors newbie

Just got my 2015 MBPr 2.9 8g 512
    All I've done is email and surf the web and it's super hot. My wife's 2013 MBPr is cool as a cucumber doing the same thing. Mine is too hot to keep on my lap.
    Mail, chrome, evernote are the only things running, plus dropbox in the background.
    Fan alternates between running slow and approaching liftoff speed. Never just off.
    No problems with my 2014 11" Air that I just replaced.
    Any ideas why this is so freakin hot?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

There's your problem.

3. marzfreerider macrumors member

Easiest solution is to call AppleCare to see if they can correct the problem for you. If that doesn't work to your satisfaction (doesn't fix the problem or tell you to take it in for repair), return it for a new one, since you have 14 days no questions asked return policy.

4. tconlin thread starter macrumors newbie

HAHA. I'd agree except my older air ran the same stuff with no problems.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

How about trying safari instead and see what happens. Chrome is a huge resource hog.

6. TSloper74 macrumors member

Use Activity Monitor to see what processes are using a high percentage of the CPU. If most of the time is in idle and it is still getting hot return it.

7. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

If its very new its likely running Spotlight on the drive as well as Chrome not helping...

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As mentioned, Chrome is not friendly with the MBPs, that's probably one of the reasons why its running hot. Try using a different browser to see if the results are better.

9. newellj macrumors 601

I suspect those are spot on. The first 24 hours or so with a new machine involves a lot of housekeeping. Chrome, IMHO, is a bad match for Macs.

10. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

I run chrome as my main browser for years now, no real issues. As stated though, there is lots of housekeeping on new macs, filevault (if enabled), indexing and you did mention dropbox - dropbox is a mega resource hoarder when it is downloading, indexing and syncing. Once all of that is done, the machine should settle down.

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

No, it's Chrome. I don't know what exactly it is about Chrome, but it did the same thing to my 2015 MBPr 2.9Ghz 16GB. It caused my mac to consumer 30 watts (!) of power on battery and caused battery overheat warnings. I even took it in to an Apple store to get looked at.

Their verdict: Nothing was wrong, except for Chrome.

Sure enough, if I use everything BUT Chrome, the Mac doesn't heat up.

I can only some it's some sort of bad interaction between the way Chrome uses resources, and how Broadwell CPUs allocate them.

And no, Spotlight had nothing to do with it. Spotlight's indexing had finished weeks before, and I could SEE Chrome hogging up everything in the Activity monitor.

Dump Chrome, and your problem will go away.