2015 MPB cannot do 4k at 60Hz

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mais78, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Mais78 macrumors regular

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I haven't tested it on my Sharp PN-K322B yet. I'll post back once I've the time to test it out.

3. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

Are you sure you have a DisplayPort 1.2 cable?

http://www.extremetech.com/computin...onitor-but-4k-still-isnt-ready-for-prime-time

"If you want to use DisplayPort 1.2 and its 60Hz refresh rate, you’ll need a compatible video card and DP cable. Neither of the two DisplayPort 1.1 cables I own could step up to the task."

4. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

I connected my late 2013 rBMP 15" to the Dell 5K display using the provided mini DisplayPort cable. I ran at 4K 60Hz.

5. Mais78 thread starter macrumors regular

Good question. The monitor comes with a dp cable but many people complained about it nt working. I already had bought this http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-co...id=1426416557&sr=1-3&keywords=displayport+1.2 which is the one I am using.

Having said that if I run that website test in Safari it says it s 60Hz, in Firefox and Chrome 30hz. If I open Switchresx and I try to add a custom resolution the default refresh rate is 60hz while with my mac mini 30hz.

Probably I am getting 60hz? Who is right? Is there a definitive test?

If I got 60hz then let me tell you that in normal use (photo editing, office, browsing) I cannot tell the difference vs 30hz.
    I got the MBP to get 60hz and the SSD vs my Mac Mini 14 that does 30hz and has a traditional HDD. MBP is fast but it is not night and day vs Mac Mini, yes it launches Lightroom in 7 seconds vs 11 secs of Mac mini but it is not that i spend my day launching and closing LR 100 times. Once I am in it the speed is not that different.
    Other things I noticed (this is my first MBP..): (i) you cant attach an external monitor if you are on battery so if I was using the laptop elsewhere and i want to use it with the external monitor for a few hours I have to deal with the power cable every time; (ii) power button is only inside the clamshell (obviously but I didnt think about it since previously I was using a Lenovo with dock) so this means having to open the laptop to power on; (iii) finally, and this is the thing that bothers me the most, you can't just power on and close the shell, you also have to log in on the laptop before it connects to the monitor and this is not easy for me because the laptop is in a position that makes it uncomfortable to do it.

This is to say that it is a nice machine but for me that I dont relly need a laptop (i have my employer's if needed + Ipad) it is only a marginal improvement vs Mac Mini, for my use, and less practical to use. So I think I will return it.

Would be nice to get to the bottom of the 60hz question though.

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Update.

I just tested it on my PN-K322B. Works flawlessly at 60 Hz.

Window dragging and animations are all smooth.

7. Mais78 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I think that website is wrong, Display Info says 60hz, to be honest I cannot tell the difference...30hz is good enough for my use

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I can. 30 Hz seems too jagged and rough for me.