Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChristopherFitch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Hi everyone,
I've been looking to pick up a replacement for my 2011 non-retina MBP and am not really excited about the 2016TB's, or at least not at the price (I also have deep concerns about the keyboard). I saw that there is no longer a BTO option for the 2015 model with the Radeon GPU and I was wondering if, for my usage, that's worth worrying about.

Basically, beyond normal lap-top-y things, I want to be able to do some scratch video editing (in 1080 or 4K proxy files) before I move my projects to my Retina iMac 27". I'd like to think that the Iris Pro graphics are enough for this, BUT, my current 2011 MBP is TERRIBLE for these simple tasks, even after I put in a Samsung Evo SSD and 8 GB of RAM. It's stutter-y and laggy and just miserable. So I guess I wanted to know if I can get an un-self-conscious "buttery smooth" experience with light video editing in the base model 2015 or if I should go to the refurb store and hunt down a Radeon one. Any help is hugely appreciated. I posted a similar thing in a different thread but I realize it probably wasn't the correct place to put it. Thank you.

PS: I basically spent all day searching for benchmarks that might have answered this question, but it seems as if the Iris Pro vs. Radeon question was not at the forefront of the internet's collective mind in 2015!

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
There is plenty of info out there on it. I am guessing it is the same one they have been using the iris pro 5200. Just look on google for benchmarks. Its decent. I am quite happy they packed the same performance graphically into the 13.3 this year though.

motime

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2015
I am in the same boat. I purchased a refurbished base 15 model. I am wondering if there is a big difference in performance between the base and the radeon model which is $500 more expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.