2015 refurb vs. 2017 new

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TomOSeven, Jul 18, 2017.

1. TomOSeven macrumors regular

TomOSeven

Hi all,

I'm trying to decide between two Macbook models.

First: 2015, refurbished, 40 cycles, base config, with Jetdrive to expand storage, 900 Euro.
    Second: 2017, new, 256 GB, base apart from that, 1570 Euro including education rebate.

So obviously the price is a big consideration. The old model is about 700 Euros cheaper, and I would save further money by not needing any obnoxious dongles. I also prefer the old keyboard, if I'm being honest. It also helps that it doesn't scream "steal me", like a new model does.

On the other had, the new model is a bit more portable (at least slightly so), has proper speakers, a nicer screen (though I never considered the old screen to be bad) and better resale value. And of course 256 GB faster SSD beats the hell out of 128 SSD + 128 GB SD card. Even the slightly lower weight would be of use because I carry around the laptop all day every day.

My use-case is mostly programming. Web-development, Java, Unity 5 (with Unityscript) and I'm also i-curious, meaning I'd like to check out iOS programming in Xcode.

So yeah, not sure which way to go here.

I have two screens, a Dell u2715h (1440p) and a new, in box LG 4k display with USB-C, so either laptop would have a suitable external monitor.

Any input would be appreciated.

2. Patcell macrumors 6502

My knee-jerk answer would be to go with the new one, but that is a huge price difference...

Your needs should be well-served by the 2015 model. The only major downside I can see is the 128GB SSD; I could not get by on that. I know you mentioned the Jetdrive, which may work well, but I have no experience with that... could it be as reliable as the internal storage?

Based on that price difference, I would seriously consider the 2015 refurb. Is that from the Apple Online Store? In that case it would be eligible for additional AppleCare as well.

3. TomOSeven thread starter macrumors regular

TomOSeven

Yeah the 128 GB SSD is a bit restrictive, but for that price difference, I would consider juggling two different storage solutions. I don't have that much media anyway.

The price difference is even higher because if I go with the 2015 MBP, I would also go with the cheaper monitor and wouldn't need a dongle. So the real difference could well be 800 Euros.

4. Patcell macrumors 6502

I think the 2015 will serve you well! And for a number of years to come. They are excellent machines. It is not so terrible to use external storage for movies/ pictures and the like if needed. Just make sure to backup the external media!

Good luck and let us know what you go with. I'd save the 800 euros if I were you - that's huge...

5. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

If money is a consideration, that's a great enough "price differential" to throw the odds towards the 2015.

When the 2016 models first came out, I weighed my options against one of them vis-a-vis the 2015.
    I like the keyboard and full complement of legacy ports on the 2015, so that's what I got.
    No regrets.

6. spacebro macrumors 6502

The 2015 has magsafe. There hasn't been a major cpu improvement since haswell. I'm sticking with 2015 until apple releases something impressive.

7. TomOSeven thread starter macrumors regular

TomOSeven

Yeah, I just went back to school and though I have enough savings to get the degree, I'd rather put the 800 in savings. Or rather, 700 in savings and 100 in crypto.

You guys are right, so I just bought the 2015 MBPR. Now I only need to find a vendor who sells nice skins without an apple cutout.

8. Patcell macrumors 6502

Hmm... dbrand sells skins with no Apple cutout, but only for the new models (2016/2017). There has to be another company.

9. TomOSeven thread starter macrumors regular

TomOSeven

Yeah I thought of Dbrand first, but they don't have a skin that covers the logo for 2015 model. No matter.