2015 refurbs making another cameo in the online apple store

BigBoy2018

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2018
They’re back! For a limited time only... 2015 15” macbook pros back in the apple online refurb store.
The 2.2ghz version with the iris graphics and also the 2.5ghz with the radeon dgpu.
$1699 and $1949 respectively.

Last edited:

BigBoy2018

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2018
As big of a fan of the 2015 models as I am, even I think it’s time for those prices to come down a bit.
I dont entirely disagree, but keep in mind apple refurbs come pristine, basically brand new, with a brand new battery, and the standard Apple new product 1-year warranty.

So would i pay $600 more for an apple refurb than one you might find on ebay for $1100 with some dings and scratches and 570 battery cycles and no real warranty? Hell yes I’d pay the extra $600 for the apple refurb ... if thats the model i really wanted

Queen6

macrumors 604
All Apple needed to do was update this chassis not inflict the emaciated 2016 design, which even in it's death throws is still a poor option. Did it not occur to Apple's execs and engineers that a "Pro" labelled notebook might actually be used by profehinals requiring reliability, performance and usability, obviously not...

Next MBP needs to be spectacular, I don't mean thinner and less usable with a higher price point as Apple has lost so much ground thx to vanity and serving the wrong audience...

Q-6

nouveau_redneck

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
As big of a fan of the 2015 models as I am, even I think it’s time for those prices to come down a bit.
Yeah, no kidding. I paid $1,808 for the one in my signature, new in 2016. Too much for a refurb, that old.
[doublepost=1562216065][/doublepost]
I dont entirely disagree, but keep in mind apple refurbs come pristine, basically brand new, with a brand new battery, and the standard Apple new product 1-year warranty.

So would i pay $600 more for an apple refurb than one you might find on ebay for $1100 with some dings and scratches and 570 battery cycles and no real warranty? Hell yes I’d pay the extra $600 for the apple refurb ... if thats the model i really wanted
Out of curiosity, I put my 2015 into Apple's trade in page and it offered me $750. (No way in hell, I'd actually take that - love this machine, but that's besides the point).

What do they do with them? Would it become a refurb? It's in pristine condition.

Last edited:

BigBoy2018

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2018
Yeah, no kidding. I paid $1,808 for the one in my signature, new in 2016. Too much for a refurb, that old.
[doublepost=1562216065][/doublepost]

Out of curiosity, I put my 2015 into Apple's trade in page and it offered me $750. (No way in hell, I'd actually take that - love this machine, but that's besides the point).

What do they do with them? Would it become a refurb? It's in pristine condition.
Possibly. But IF they turned it around as a refurb, they would still replace the entire shell anyway, the keyboard, the battery and any other internal part thats showing wear and tear.
Then of course as mentioned, give it that 1-year warranty with the option of apple care as well.

HOWEVER, more likely anything like that thats been used for 4 years tbey would likely send off to a 3rd party ‘refurb’ outfit.

What I think more likely happens in the case of Apple refurbs is that the refurbs are part of large corporate purchases and many are simply surplus models that were never actually used at all. By law, they still cannot sell those as ‘new’ since technically they’ve been delivered to a customer, but many werent even touched or opened.
Still Apple will give them a full inspection, new battery (since even a new battery sitting around for a couple years is not perfect, and then reseal them in brand new packaging.

Last edited:

CheesePuff

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA

Eh I would pick one up for $900 in good condition on eBay after verifying the serial number is under the battery replacement program and go that route.

BigBoy2018

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2018
Eh I would pick one up for $900 in good condition on eBay after verifying the serial number is under the battery replacement program and go that route.
I get that. It's just I'm kinda a picky b---ch about my Macs. I totally baby them. I always keeps them in pristine condition and when not in use safely tucked in a Thule case. No scratches, no dents, no stickers (or sticker residue).

I bought a used one once and believe it or not the keyboard smelled like cigarettes. I've seen used laptops with not only with minor dings and scratches, but when I'd go to open the bottom case and replace the SSD with something bigger, I'd find one or more of the screws had been stripped, or other evidence that the poor thing had not been handled well. And of course, with used ones like that, the screen hinge is often loose and/or wobbly.

So because I'm so OCD about my laptops and keep them a long time, I just can't abide with a laptop that already feels worse than any one of the laptops I still have after 8 years, but bought new myself.
[doublepost=1562422770][/doublepost]
I needed a MacBook Pro RIGHT NOW, the 2015 15" is the one I'd buy.
I'd prefer it over ANY 2016-2019 model being sold right now.
Ditto.

Donnation

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
I have a 2015 15" that I bought from the Apple refurbished store in late April. Its the 2.8GHz version with 1TB of storage and dedicated graphics card. Shortly after I accepted a promotion and am traveling constantly so I purchased the new air as I needed something light. I hate the keyboard but had to get it as the older versions screen just won't do.

If anyone is looking for the 2015 PM me as mine is in absolute perfect mint condition and has 17 cycles on the battery. I purchased it on April 28th of this year directly from Apple. Box and everything included.

austyn23

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2017
I love my MBP 2015, but I had to replace it beacause of battery problems. I got the 2019 and is way better in performance, the 4 years on the 2015 are showing off.

4 years in tech is a lot, I wouldn´t recommend getting the 2015 (unless you get it for 500 dls). Yes, I know, the ports, the keyboard... I bought the 2019 and next year hope to sell it for 70% of what I paid and get the 2020 with a better keyboard (if we see one in 2020?). I have to say I like the keyboard on the new one, but I know there is a design flaw and is a ticking bomb.

The 2015 sell price is not going to be good if you keep it for a couple of years... you´ll sell it, yes, but not for good money I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigBoy2018

turbineseaplane

macrumors 601
Mar 19, 2008
I am personally hopeful that the new MacBook Air, with a new keyboard, rumored to be coming this year might be my next laptop.

Maybe even a refreshed no Touch Bar 13” even (if that were to happen). I really just want the rumored, more travel, new scissor switch keyboard.

pshufd

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I stopped in the Apple Store in Orlando yesterday to check out the 2019 keyboards. They felt so-so. I think that I preferred the clicky but I always prefer the clicky. It's hard to test a keyboard when you're standing up because the tendency is to put more force on the keys than if using them normally. Then I saw the Touch Bar and thought "Yuck". So I went into the Microsoft Store next door. The Apple Store had about 60 customers in it. The Microsoft Store had zero customers. I was the first one. Of course a couple of employees came over asking if I wanted any help and I said no. I just wanted to look at laptops (not Surface anything). I looked at a bunch and the one that I like the most was the XPS 15. It has a rubbery surface which was odd but I liked it. It has the same dearth of ports as the MacBook Pro but it had nice key travel. I'd say 2 mm more key travel than my 2015 MacBook Pro. Very plush. They had a Hauwei model - looked like a clone of the MBP 13. They didn't have any thick models (1 inch) that I was more interested but at least they have variety. Most of the stuff I'd consider cheap junk but I guess there's a big market in that.