2015 retina MacBook Pro and MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tonymontana23, Mar 23, 2015.

1. tonymontana23, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2015

tonymontana23 macrumors newbie

There's a rumor saying that in Q4 2015, both retina MacBook pro and non-retina MacBook pro will be discontinued. At the same time, new 13 and 15 inch MacBooks join the MacBook lineup. They will use the same design that comes with the 12 inch MacBook. The size and weight of the 13 and 15 inch resemble the current MacBook Air. The MacBook Air lineup will be retained as the entry level machines with non-retina displays. Not sure if it is true or not. Let's wait and see.

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I certainly hope not, but if true, I definitely made the right choice by buying the current model Macbook Pro.

That said, I still don't think Apple will go that far. Removing the "Pro" line would alienate more people than it would attract.

A more sane approach is that the MacBook Air goes away (which makes sense, considering it's no longer the "light as air" model), the MacBook drops in price to be the entry-level machine, and the MacBook Pro is redesigned to be something a bit lighter, and as thin as a Thunderbolt port will allow. Maybe a USB-A port will remain, but I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 USB Cs.

3. Psyfuzz macrumors 6502

Psyfuzz

Highly doubt it, if any Macbook range stands risk of being discontinued it's the Air since their major USP has been usurped by the new Macbook.

As stated above, some people need the horsepower the pros put out, remove that range and they'll go elsewhere and with no portable alternative with sufficient power within Apple's line up mean's they'd migrate away from OS X and Macintosh.

If they managed to pack the MBP's power into an Air-sized package with a larger display then maybe I could see an update to the range - but I doubt there will be a full-on discontinuing of the 'Pro' laptops.

4. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I certainly hope not either. I"m glad i bought the latest model if that's the case.

5. Joelburman macrumors regular

Joelburman

Sources for this rumor? I'd say its unlikely at this point.

6. David58117 macrumors 65816

I'm really confused.

So the the current 13" and 15" pros will be discontinued - to be replaced with 13" and 15" "MacBooks"?

I'm assuming the 15" will retain a quad core?

So...all you're really claiming is the pro line will be redesigned......?

Kind of a lame rumor...

7. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

Highly doubtful but if it does, I'll be headed back to Windows for the first time in 10 years...and so will many other working professionals who need multiple ports and high end internals.

8. addictzz macrumors 6502

Can you give us the link to that rumor?

I highly doubt it. There is still need for multiple ports. The way I see it, it's much more worth to get rMBP rather than 12" macbook at the same price.

9. nj-mac-user macrumors 6502

nj-mac-user

This rumor was started by the OP himself. Not happening, period.

10. totten76 macrumors regular

totten76

Any sources for this? What would be the purpose of a new 13" Macbook Pro with a possible 15" in a few months, only to be discontinued 6 months later?

11. kdm0505 macrumors member

This guy / girl works for Apple. Posting with punctuation and a new user with a name such as that is typical "hmm let me just think of a name really fast".

Wouldn't this make sense for Apple on some level? I think this rumor has no source because it is directly from Apple. This "rumor" will be a fact. Busted.

12. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Meh, sounds sketchy to me.

I think the MacBook is here to stay and the MBAs will fade away within two years. I think you could see a MBP redesign, but they'll keep at least one USB-A port for the time being.

13. steveyo macrumors regular

I can see them discontinuing the regular MacBooks but the retina will stay

14. guychicago macrumors 6502

guychicago

Is there a link to your thread or just your imagination?

15. jshuang macrumors newbie

Is this rumor trying to say new 13" and 15" MacBooks will have similar appearance with current 12" ones but equip new i5 or i7 CPUs rather than Core M? If so, I highly expect these new guys.

16. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Thats just nonsense

Will the rMBP get redesigned with Skylake?? Possibly. But I'm betting march 2016 for the skylake MBP's.

Will it be a bigger macbook?? No it won't.

Is it more likely that the redesign will happen with cannonlake?? Thats my bet.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That does not meet the sniff test, Apple would be making a horrendous mistake by discontinuing such a popular computer line, in lieu of a slower processor, less ports and less capability machine.

18. newellj macrumors 601

...and I am absolutely convinced by your confirmation of the "rumor." :rolleyes:

19. technosix macrumors 6502a

That rumor is off the mark by a wide margin. Apple's current lineup is comprised of proven highly capable laptops, each of which serve both Apple and the consumer very well. In fact I'd dare say that these are the finest most trouble free of all the companies hardware products.

Oh sure they aren't big headline generators, considering how Apple thrives off of such attention, but they're quietly pulling in strong margins effortlessly. They are the hands down, no hesitation choice for those of us who make our living via a computer and have been the go to choice for the last decade as they run Windows, OS X and Linux/Unix with great ease.

I'll be the first to admit that I am less than pleased with some of Apple's business practices in the iOS era, but they have kept us supplied with exemplary laptops.

20. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

I highly doubt this is true, and even if they do, I guess I'll have to say that I am grateful to have bought my rMBP when I did. If I wanted something thinner, I would've went with the Air but I don't like the design of the Air at all. The rMBP design is beautiful and it's not clunky at all. I would hate to see them get rid of the design simply because they want to make all of their laptops look like the new rMB.

21. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I read about this in Macrumors. It must be true.

22. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Love the sarcasm, but a lot of stuff on Macrumors - especially from Macrumors themselves - DOES turn out to be true! :p

23. JBat macrumors regular

JBat

The guy is just trolling, starting a rumor then sitting back to enjoy the show. Probably just registered here.

24. addictzz macrumors 6502

Tsk, you're right. Join Date: Mar 2015. Big troll.