2015 retina MB vs. 2016 Surface Pro 4

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by RUGGLES99, Dec 21, 2016.

1. RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

If you can switch to Windows 10, the Surface Pro 4 M3 is far superior to the RMB m1. I have both. The RMB is a great little laptop. I've never had a problem. But the SP4 with the M processor (the base unit) is faster, has a better (touch) screen, has a great built-in kickstand, has ports, and with the MS keyboard case, it's a pretty spectacular 2-in-1, plus with the MS pen (stylo.) Luckily, I was able to pick up a new SP4 with the keyboard and pen for $550. It's really a piece of kit. If you are decising on a new small laptop, consider it.

2. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

does it run mac OS? that's my preferred system (alto not by as much as it used to be). that's really the deciding factor, isn't it? both OS's have great hardware options...

3. RUGGLES99 thread starter macrumors 6502

No, nothing but apple runs mac os. But it does do a perfect emulation of ALL android apps. I also have a 2016 mbp retina and the 2015 rmb. but the surface pro 4 m3 is pretty nice even tho its windows 10, which is easy and very smooth.

4. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

no, i know that, it's a rhetorical question. the point is, what OS do you want to use? then you can determine which hardware is best for it. and lots of options once you've determined that.

5. RUGGLES99 thread starter macrumors 6502

both os's are equally as good, i've come to conclude. years ago i used apple computers -- 2c, apple 2, then the early macs, even a kpro, then windows, then more current macs, so i've been through the wars. but as of today, the rmb and m3 surface pro 4, os and win 10 are on equal ground.

6. andy9l macrumors 68000

That's your opinion.

I've just spent £1,400 on a new PC gaming build and £500 on a 4K LG 27" monitor (with a USB-C connector for use with my rMB, too). None of those products are Apple products, so I have no "warped view" of Apple. I recognise what they do well, and what they don't. High-end computing, as of today, they do not do well at all.

Personal computing, however, they do better than anyone else in the market. Having not used Windows properly for several years, I assumed they would be on a par by now. That's simply not been the case for me.

One thing that really made me wince was the fact that the official, clean Microsoft Windows 10 download I used from microsoft.com came with pre-installed with a few demos and games. I mean, what is that? They were all easily uninstalled through the Windows store, but that's the kinda thing sketchy manufacturers pull - not MS themselves. It's just not premium, at all. It's still the poor man's macOS, I hate to say it.

Perhaps there's an element of "what you're used to". Either way, it doesn't really bother me because I just boot my PC, run my games / Chrome, then switch back to macOS for anything else. But there's no way I could make the switch to use my new Windows 10 PC as my main driver (gaming aside), despite it being far, far more powerful and capable than our top-end 5K iMac.

As fisherking said - pick your OS, then pick your hardware. Surface != rMB in any shape or form.

And that's my opinion.

7. evec macrumors regular

Why are you with conclusion that surface pro 4 m3 will faster that MB12 ?
    and the price of SP4 m3 should 4/128GB, the MB12 base model even 2015 with 8/256GB should faster that the base model of m3 SP4.

If you just bought it a while, please use it more time to make final conclude.