Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
So I basically got shunned in the rMB threads by people in denial. I've been told that the 2015 rMB runs just as fast as the rMBP and that I don't know what I'm talking about. Obviously trying to convey that the computer is much slower than my previous Macs in a rMB owner's thread is like going to the Democratic National Convention and preaching an end to Gun Control. LOL

My previous notebook computer was the 2014 11" Macbook Air "ultimate" ... I loved how fast it was, and how super portable it was. The only peeve was the horrid low-res, low quality screen. So when I saw the Keynote about the 12" retina macbook, I got excited.

So the weekend the 12" rMB came out, I bought it. I bought the 1.2 ghz, 512gb gold model. After bringing it home, I was ecstatic about the physical dimensions. I wasn't too thrilled about having to buy all new power adaptors, and USB adaptors, but I did it. All told I'm into it about $1900 now.

After about 3 weeks owning it, little things started bugging me about it. The battery lasts nowhere near what they say. They say 9 hours, I get about 4-5... people say turning the brightness all the way down and disabling bluetooth (how am I to use a mouse?) will help get closer to 7-8 hours too, but that seems silly.

My biggest pet peeve is the performance. It's awful, or I'm just critical. The issues where I notice it are flash sites (Facebook games, etc) where it's jerky or so laggy that it's unusable. Also, I notice it on little things like when I'm clicking through unread emails with the arrow keys, I often click on an email and then click on the next and the processor is so slow it doesn't register the email as having been clicked on, so it's not marked read. Things like installing software, OS updates, etc, on average takes twice as long as my old Macbook Air.

I'm kinda in a dilemma now. I'm not sure if going to a rMBP 13" or a Macbook Air 11 would be better at this point. I've brought my issues up in the rMB forums, and people are just drunk on the kool-aid and say oh just turn off some features like animations and OS display features. NO! I didn't spend $1900 to have to disable features meant to work on any mac.

Anyone have advice for me? I travel a lot, so I wonder if the 13" rMBP will be too bulky\heavy after a Air and then a rMB. It seems like the more appropriate model.. or maybe go back to a 11" Macbook Air... I dunno. I have a iMac 5k at home, so the laptop is NOT my primary computer.

Thoughts\suggestions?

gordian

macrumors member
May 3, 2010
MBPs are very different from MBs. Go to a nearby Apple Store or Best Buy and try one out. If you like the in-store demo then try it for 14 days.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
MBPs are very different from MBs. Go to a nearby Apple Store or Best Buy and try one out. If you like the in-store demo then try it for 14 days.

I had one about 2 years ago right when they came out with retina on the 13" models. I didn't like it because it was bulky (this was before they slimmed the retina version down a bit). I'm sure the bulk will still take getting used to after having my 11" Air and 12" macbook, but I just can't go back to the air, and as I age I feel like I need the larger screen. Before the 12" macbook release, I had considered going 13" air. But for 0.40 lbs more, I might as well get the rMBP

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
Hey friend!

Sell it and get a rMBP. Same as before. The 13'' rMBP is 3.5 lbs. If that isn't enough to put the strain on your manly arms, shoulders or back I'd say you're good to go. In any case if it turns out to be too heavy for you, you'll just be in the same stage of regret that you're in now - but hopefully then you'll be within a return policy at least. This way you have all of your connectivity/external support if you need it, retina display still, a faster CPU, and it's technically a cheaper buy because it doesn't need adapters for anything other than charging it if you plan on ... well ... doing anything other than charging it.

Gave you the exact same advice early in your other thread, but maybe you'll listen in this fresh one. I hope this helps!

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Hey friend!

Sell it and get a rMBP. Same as before. The 13'' rMBP is 3.5 lbs. If that isn't enough to put the strain on your manly arms, shoulders or back I'd say you're good to go. In any case if it turns out to be too heavy for you, you'll just be in the same stage of regret that you're in now - but hopefully then you'll be within a return policy at least. This way you have all of your connectivity/external support if you need it, retina display still, a faster CPU, and it's technically a cheaper but because it doesn't need adapters for anything other than charging it if you plan on ... well ... doing anything other than charging it.

Gave you the exact same advice early in your other thread, but maybe you'll listen in this fresh one. I hope this helps!

I think I'll do that. I just logged on to BestBuy.com and realized that I achieved MyRewards ElitePlus with my rMB and 5k iMac purchases, so instead of 14 day return policy, I have 45 day return policy. I can hold on to my rMB and buy the rMBP and have 45 days to use the heck out of it, travel with it, etc, and see if I really do like it. I was nervous with a 14 day return policy, but 45 days should give me much more than enough time to figure out where I stand with it. :)

Reactions: duderman67

totten76

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2015
You really can't compare the MacBook to the MacBook Pro.

I have the 15" and to me that is very portable.........
If you can't handle the 13" Pro then :/

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011

According to several (of the more vocal) ones here in this forum, "the rMB runs just as fast as the rMBP" contrary to me pointing out the many benchmarks and reviews indicating otherwise. LOL

dk808

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2015

I have the 15" and to me that is very portable.........
If you can't handle the 13" Pro then :/
This. 13 inch retina MacBook Pro feels light as a feather. MacBook and MacBook Air feels way too fragile to me personally

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
This. 13 inch retina MacBook Pro feels light as a feather. MacBook and MacBook Air feels way too fragile to me personally

I agree, the rMBP feels really nice. My only fear is I'm coming from a 2014 Air and then a 2015 rMB, so it'll be a bit of an adjustment. ;-)

totten76

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2015
According to several (of the more vocal) ones here in this forum, "the rMB runs just as fast as the rMBP" contrary to me pointing out the many benchmarks and reviews indicating otherwise. LOL

I don't see where everyone is thinking that the rMB is some sort of powerful computer. It honestly bewilders me lol.....just look how tiny it is! It's like a little iPad :)

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
I don't see where everyone is thinking that the rMB is some sort of powerful computer. It honestly bewilders me lol.....just look how tiny it is! It's like a little iPad :)

Yeah, well I basically got told I'm crazy in the rMB thread. I complained about it being slow for things like flash, and was told I should turn off flash. I complained about it being slow in OS X with menus and navigation, and was told I should turn off the UI visual effects OS X has built in. I complained about general slowness loading apps, and was told it's as fast as any other mac. I complained when I scroll through mail messages, the hi lighted email can't keep up with the arrow and there is lag, and I was told it's my email's problem. I complained about jerky web page scrolling in Safari and told I probably have "a defective processor"... LOL.

Clearly the issue is me and not the under-performing Core M processor. LOL, rolls eyes.

totten76

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2015
Yeah, well I basically got told I'm crazy in the rMB thread. I complained about it being slow for things like flash, and was told I should turn off flash. I complained about it being slow in OS X with menus and navigation, and was told I should turn off the UI visual effects OS X has built in. I complained about general slowness loading apps, and was told it's as fast as any other mac. I complained when I scroll through mail messages, the hi lighted email can't keep up with the arrow and there is lag, and I was told it's my email's problem. I complained about jerky web page scrolling in Safari and told I probably have "a defective processor"... LOL.

Clearly the issue is me and not the under-performing Core M processor. LOL, rolls eyes.

In my opinion. You will love the 13" MBP. If you end up getting it keep us updated!!!

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I love the 11" MBA. If you haven't sold if already, why not just go back to it? You said it was great except for the screen. Personally, I can't see selling a year old computer that works great for a better screen, especially if you travel a lot.

This is coming from a 13" owner.

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
Recently sold my MBA and wanted a retina Apple laptop replacement. Portability is also key and I did appreciate the weight of the MBA ever since I switched from the older plastic white MacBooks to the Air when it first came out.

However, after getting a hands-on with the rMacBook, I just could not buy one. It had portability/weight advantages but way too many trade offs. Didn't like the keyboard, nor the lack of ports. And I was surprised how easy it was for it to be bogged down. I don't have great demands in terms of use but when running Office and browser tabs become an issue, I knew it was time to look elsewhere.

So I did: a refurb 2014 rMBP. Slightly more weight than my MBA but a Retina screen, a lot more power and plenty of ports and genuine 8-9hr battery. That it was 30% less than the rMB only made it easier.

Hopefully rev B or C of the rMB will see more power and at least another port.

Merkava_4

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2010
California
shenan1982
Have you tried using Disc Utility? That's what I do whenever the computer starts slowing down. I do the verify permissions, repair permissions, and then do a restart. Everything gets faster after that and the spinning beach ball goes away.

bwb

macrumors regular
May 25, 2004
Is the retina screen more appealing because of the (1) crispness, viewing angle, and color accuracy, or (2) ability to increase effective resolution from the default scaling?

If (2) then I'd highly recommend the rMBP since you won't be able to have anywhere close to the "more space" effective resolutions on the MBA.

If (1) then it becomes a tradeoff of general viewing quality and comfort versus weight/battery life, so more consideration. Trying out the rMBP during the return period sounds good, since you are already familiar with the MBA so you'll have a solid basis for comparison.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Anyone have advice for me? I travel a lot, so I wonder if the 13" rMBP will be too bulky\heavy after a Air and then a rMB. It seems like the more appropriate model.. or maybe go back to a 11" Macbook Air... I dunno. I have a iMac 5k at home, so the laptop is NOT my primary computer.
I like the 13" rMBP over the 13 or 11" MBA because of the screen and processor. Since the rMB wasn't a good fit for you, I think something with a little more pep would be a better option. As for being too heavy/bulky the 13" MBP isn't that much heavier/larger then the 13" MBA

Reactions: Queen6

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
I like the 13" rMBP over the 13 or 11" MBA because of the screen and processor. Since the rMB wasn't a good fit for you, I think something with a little more pep would be a better option. As for being too heavy/bulky the 13" MBP isn't that much heavier/larger then the 13" MBA

I agree wholeheartedly ... now it's time to look for a deal on a rMBP... I want the 512gb one, so probably best buy. Sale of $90 off minus 10% movers coupon plus I have a $110 rewards cert. Know of any deals that beat that?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you have access to EDU email domain, best buy sends you some discounts. I think you should be seeing some of those as we're in summer now.

deepakvrao

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2011
India
Just switched from a 13 MBA to a 13 rMBP. No issues with the weight gain, and the smaller footprint is great. I love the screen.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
If you have access to EDU email domain, best buy sends you some discounts. I think you should be seeing some of those as we're in summer now.

Yeah, have had issues using the code in conjunction with the movers discount. Not sure how others are getting it to work. If you have any advice, let me know. I'm not a current student anymore so don't have a current student ID, but do have an edu email, so going in and asking for the EDU discount isn't an option.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Just switched from a 13 MBA to a 13 rMBP. No issues with the weight gain, and the smaller footprint is great. I love the screen.

Cool. And loving the performance? I'm coming from a MBA 11" > 12" rMB > 13" rMBP, so the weight and size gain are going to be a lot more noticeable for me, but I'm hoping the performance gain blows me away to where the others are irrelevant.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
but do have an edu email, so going in and asking for the EDU discount isn't an option.
I believe you need to sign up somewhere on bestbuy.com and you'll get promotional emails some of which will be discounts on MBPs

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
I believe you need to sign up somewhere on bestbuy.com and you'll get promotional emails some of which will be discounts on MBPs

Yeah I have the email the code just never seems to work right and play nice with the 10% movers guide coupon, hehe

wct097

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2010
Prior to it being available, I made the mistake of referring to the new Macbook as a glorified netbook, citing the low power proc and fanless design. You would have thought the world was coming to an end by the reactions.

Some people just like to bury their heads in the sand and worship everything Apple produces.

Go with the 13" pro. You wont be disappointed.

Reactions: Ulenspiegel
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.