2015 rMBP 13" for Audio production

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Troposphere, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Troposphere, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2015

Troposphere macrumors newbie

Troposphere

Looking to buy a macbook for music production (not live performance) and browsing.

So I'm thinking, is the 13" rMBP (256GB configured with either 2.7 or 2.9GHz i5 and 16GB of RAM) good enough to use for Logic Pro X? I know it doesn't have a quadcore like the 15", but I'm looking for something fairly portable.

For instance, how many instrument tracks can it handle? Does it get hot/noisy under moderate load? Is screen estate big enough? etc.

Keep in mind that I will try to only use the instruments/effects that are included in LPX.

2. The Humble Blogger macrumors newbie

You should be able to do just about as many tracks as you want or could ever need with that machine. I'm able to do light music production/podcasting on my 13" MacBook Air. I personally don't think you're going to notice the difference between the processors, but I would definitely go with the 16GB of ram.

Unless you're doing a lot of music production for a long time, your Mac shouldn't become too hot. I would mention though that the additional screen space would definitely help, so just keep that in mind.