2015 rMBP 15inch Keyboard Backlight Flicker

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jtl_, Nov 3, 2015.

1. jtl_ macrumors newbie

So I should start this thread by saying that I'm a person who is extremely PWM flicker sensitive and that I'm not much of a Mac person but was looking for a flicker free laptop. Out of all the laptops I tested with my high shutter-speed DSLR the only high performance ones were Macbook's. No surprise, as I was able to speak with an internal source within Apple I know through my own connections who told me that Mac's don't flicker until below 50% brightness and then they flicker at 100 Khz, which is extremely high. He also mentioned the keyboards flicker "at low brightness settings" at a unknown frequency.

One thing that does flicker heavily however is the backlit keyboard. I can tell because it is blatantly obvious to me at any brightness and gives me a headache :| The in-store demo unit at Best Buy was also flickering, which leads me to think

a) design flaw with current lineup
    b) bad batch of MBP's
    c) generic problem with all Macbook keyboard backlights.

Well we can rule out c) as I was at my friends house today and she owns a MacBookAir6,2 and her's doesn't flicker until the very low brightnesses (wasn't able to test with camera but my eyes don't see flicker at the higher brightnesses) while on my rMBP it is blatantly obvious.

An example of what I am talking about, shot at 1/200 shutter speed on my Canon T5i.

I will be relaying this information to my sources within Apple as well.

Any advice and could anyone test if the own a camera with adjustable shutter speed and I would like feedback from people with as many Macbook models as possible.

Thanks

JTL

2. jtl_ thread starter macrumors newbie

Bump. I would like to see more videos of recent Macbook keyboard backlights recorded at fastest shutter speed possible. Thanks

3. jtl_ thread starter macrumors newbie

Bit late but I spoke with an Apple engineer I know and he said it's working as intended. I know the new 12" Macbook and 13 inch Macbook's do not have keyboard backlight flicker problems though.