2015 rMBP flash drive upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by reyalP, May 6, 2016.

1. reyalP macrumors regular

reyalP

I am looking for options to upgrade the flash drive in my 2015 rMBP 13 inch. Currently I have a 256GB but would like to double it. I need a drive that will support boot camp if possible. I looked at OWC and their drives do not support boot camp. Any ideas? Is it possible to get boot camp working on a after market drive?

2. MRxROBOT macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

3. JTToft macrumors 68040

MRxROBOT is correct above. Look up an original Apple SSD on Ebay. It's your only option.

4. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

It's like an epidemic with small SSDs! eBay is the only source for authentic Apple SSDs as noted above.

[rant] I always need lots of storage so I would never go lower than 512GB of storage. I see lots of rMBPs on Craigslist for really low prices that take a really long time to sell. I image those folks have the same dilemma.[/rant]

5. mac8867 macrumors 6502

6. MRxROBOT macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

Perhaps try reading the whole post bringer of good news. The OWC drive does not allow you to install Boot Camp.

7. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

If I needed to upgrade, I probably would not choose this product because of the lack of trim support.

Attached Files:

8. magbarn macrumors 68000

I just bit the bullet and bought a 1TB from ebay for my 2013 rMBP just 6 months after I bought it. It's been working great since then... I really wish Apple would go to the M.2 standard which is just as good as their proprietary connector. Oh how I miss the Apple from 2006-2012 that used industry standard SATA cables and upgradable memory!

9. reyalP thread starter macrumors regular

reyalP

This was my first Macbook purchase. Thought 256GB would be enough but found out it is not going to be. The other dilemma is that I just purchased apple care for it to extend the warranty. I know if I swap out the drive I will probably void that warranty. I guess I could see if they can cancel my apple care and have Apple pro rate me the difference and put that toward a new drive from Ebay.

10. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

I don't think Apple would know if you swapped the drive out. As long as you keep the old drive. If you do run into a problem and need to take it in, swap the old drive back in.

11. Fishrrman macrumors G3

OP:

Unless you want to spend A LOT of money for a 1tb blade drive, your best options are:

1. Sell what you have and buy another MacBook with a larger drive from the factory
    or
    2. Get an EXTERNAL SSD, and "off-load" non-critical stuff to the external SSD.