2015 rMBP force touch gestures problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by expiredyogurt, Jul 28, 2016.

1. expiredyogurt macrumors member

Tl;Dr: Swipe gesture freezes and force click doesn't work. High chance to happen when I close my lid to sleep and reuse it moments later. Restarting the MBP solves the problem until I have to close the lid again.

I'm having problems with my force touch gestures. Gestures like 2 finger swipe to go back a page in Safari and 2 finger swipe to archive in the Mail app.

Sometimes the swipe fails in the sense it 'moves' the page like 1mm and then it freezes. When it freezes, I can't do anything to it except CMD+Q it. I found a way unfreeze the page by swiping towards the opposite direction multiple times and pray that it works. It usually takes 20+ swipes to unfreeze it and when I attempt to use the swipe gesture again, it freezes.

Then there are times when I want to use the force touch to bring up the dictionary and it does work, same with the link preview on Safari with the force click.

All these are solved when I restart my MBP and the problem seems to be happening when I close the lid (let it sleep) and reopen it. It gets tiresome after awhile as I might as well shut down and turn on my MBP every time I move it around.

The MBP is a used purely for school and work so there is no games / scripts / extensions on Safari installed so no 3rd plug ins should be interfering with it. I also did a hardware test / diagnostic and nothing came of it and did a first aid with disk utility after upgrading from Yosmite to El Cap.

Can anyone help with this? It's starting to bug me and I would prefer to bring it in to a genius bar as ithe nearest one is one town away form where I am.

Also, this has nothing to do with the problem above but does anyone know how to make the autocorrect feature on the MBP similar to the iphone where you type something and it will correct it but if you delete the word and retype it, it DOES NOT re-correct it again? i.e. if I type pikachu, autocorrect will correct it after I press space and if I delete the whole word and type again, I want it to NOT autocorrect it again. It works on the iphone but not on the MBP so it's a little annoying.

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

Try an SMC and NVRAM reset. Else, reinstall OS X. Failing both, take it to Apple.

3. expiredyogurt thread starter macrumors member

I'll give that a try as I was reading what they do on the apple support page. I was hoping not reinstall the whole OS as I don't want anything changed in settings.

Speaking about plugins, I am using caffeine to keep my screen on and have set it to indefinite. Do you think it might be the cause of the problems I'm facing? I have since disabled it and will have a look out on the issue to see if it solves it.

4. JTToft, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016

JTToft macrumors 68040

- The OS reinstall changes absolutely nothing, except it ensures the system itself is working and in good order. Everything will visually be the exact same, and it won't take much more than 30 minutes.

The more stuff you can eliminate as the source of the problem, the better. Honestly, I doubt that's the source, but it's worth checking out.

(If all you're using Caffeine for is to keep the screen from sleeping, System Preferences can do the exact same thing.)

5. expiredyogurt thread starter macrumors member

Oh, reinstalling the OS doesn't change a thing huh? I might just do that instead then. I'll see if the problem is solved with caffeine turned off and if it doesnt then I'll proceed with your methods.

Didn't really know why I installed it except that I want to screen to stay on but after awhile, I didn't really have a use for it as I will be in front of it when I need to use it and when I leave for food / toilet or wtv, I tend to turn off the display with the hot corners and such so I don't really use it anymore.

6. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Correct. Just don't erase your drive beforehand. ;)