2015 RMBP problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mockford, May 31, 2015.

1. mockford macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I'm a first time poster. Hope you are able to help me / advise me.

I got a brand new 2015 RMBP just short of two months ago and I had nothing but problems with it. The fans keep speeding up very high, even when the machine is idle. Also the unibody is getting hot, which I don't think is right.

I been on the phone / chat with apple care support and they are reluctant to swap the machine out for a new one. I have told them that I not happy with sending the machine off to be repaired as it less then to months old.

Anyway I have a call scheduled with customer relations tomorrow.

Any advise? Has anyone else had this issue?

2. Ovedius macrumors 6502

Ovedius

Well the only thing I can think of is reseting the SMC (System Managment Controller).
    But since you've talked to Apple directly, maybe you've already tried it?

I'll post the instructions here just in case:

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Plug in the power adapter.

3. On the built-in keyboard, press the Shift, Control, and Option keys on the left side and the power button, all at the same time.

4. Release all four keys at the same time.

5. Turn on the computer.

3. mockford thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the reply. Yes I have already tried that. Didn't help at all. I've also done a clean install of the OS incase there was something rouge in the OS. Still having problems :-(

4. Ovedius macrumors 6502

Ovedius

Oh man, that's properly awful, sorry :(

Cleaning out the fans/internals and reseting the SMC is as far as my ...techspertise stretches.
    And I doubt a brand new Macbook comes with a couple of years supply of dust built in :p

I'd probably try demanding a free repair, or maybe even a replacement.
    Sorry man, this sort of thing really sucks on an investment like a brand new Mac.

5. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Download SMC fan control and it will give you a temp monitor to easily view. As an example, my 2011, which runs a bit hot for my liking, usually averages around 40 - 45c with just surfing and basic stuff. I have noticed that Firefox does heat my system up a lot more then Safari. The program allows you to manually ramp up the fans a little or a lot for your needs. Let us know what kind of temps you are seeing.

6. mockford thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for replying.

I painfully frustrated and disappointed. I've asked for a replacement. Apple seem to be very reluctant in doing this. Hopefully customer relations will help when they call tomorrow.

----------

Thanks I'll give that a try.

7. mockford thread starter macrumors member

I'm getting on average 45-68 temperature when the machine is just setting there idle

8. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

9. mockford thread starter macrumors member

No, I use safari.

10. mlsusa macrumors regular

I assume you don't have an Apple Store near you otherwise you would've already brought it in? That's really the best way to figure out what the problem is. I've found their phone and chat support to be underwhelming. In places where there are no Apple Stores you can ship it to them for repairs. I don't know where you live but in the US repairs are covered by warranty for the first year. You may not want to be without the rMBP for that time but I think it may be your best option as it sounds like you have a hardware issue.

11. mockford thread starter macrumors member

My local Apple Store doesn't have any appointments for the next seven days. Even the Apple support on the phone couldn't make me a appointment.

So disappointed

12. mlsusa macrumors regular

Ouch! That's awful. Sorry to hear. I think they're your best bet so I'd keep trying to look for an appointment. (And be ready to wait a while when you get there.)

In the meantime did you check activity monitor to see if any app is pegged to the cpu?

13. mockford thread starter macrumors member

Apple did a remote support and took a look and couldn't see anything unusual.

Hopefully customer relations will help me tomorrow.

14. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The terms of the warranty were available before you bought the computer. Why is it a big deal if they repair it?

15. Laserducky macrumors regular

Laserducky

Apple Chat may be unwilling to get the laptop replaced but you have taken the right steps, in talking to them first and reinstalling the OS. Get a Genius appointment and let them take a look at the laptop. If they find the issue too serious, they may just replace your laptop. Apple have very good customer relations especially at the store and your laptop being so new, they might just give you a new one but play firm but NICE.

Cheers !