2015 rMBP question

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
OK, just ordered the top rMBP in standard config but what does this mean please, the Turbo Boost?

Is this something it does automatically or requires something to be done??

• 2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz) with 6MB shared L3 cache

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
OK, just ordered the top rMBP in standard config but what does this mean please, the Turbo Boost?

• 2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz) with 6MB shared L3 cache
It is done automatically. Don't worry about any of the specs graphics cards etc etc. They will all look after themselves, with no need for any interference from you. Just load up with your stuff and enjoy.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
That's just fancy talk meaning it will accelerate (or ramp back down) if it needs to based on things like workload, temperature, and power consumption. It's automatic.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008

If the computer has the thermal overhead (meaning, it isn't running too hot) it will raises clock speed on each core up to 3.7GHz automatically. It will enter a lower power state (either the base clock speed of 2.5GHz, or even lower) should things get too toasty in there.

It's all done without any intervention from you whatsoever.

Alternatively you could've googled "Intel turbo boost" and gotten your answer quicker and in as much detail (or more) as you would've liked.

Reactions: jamin00