2015 rMBP replacement - difference in keyboard?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jm112, Apr 13, 2015.

1. jm112 macrumors newbie

I had a small fault on my early 2015 rMBP. I've had a replacement through, but oddly the keyboard feels quite a bit different. I wrote a 5000 word essay in the time that I had the original rMBP so I was fairly well acquainted with the keyboard. This keyboard has a different feel, almost like the keys are firmer, taking more pressure to press, and have a more muted ' sound when being pressed, as oppose to the 'clickier' feel before. I've been using a mid-2010 MBP since it came out so I'm not new to mac.

Is this all in my head, or is it possible for there to be discrepancies in the keyboards (however small)? Or do keyboards have a 'break in period' or something I'm not thinking about?

2. thadoggfather, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015

thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

when I compared my 2015 with the demo unit, the demo was matte/squishy/more muted in sound and mine is shinier finish (like 2014 15" I played with next to the 2015 demo), more click, and less effort.

I think there's a bit of break in period too but I think they use two different types out there.

Sounds like the matte/squishy one is more common, I think someone said they got it 4 out of 5 times.

ymmv

this is ultimately one of the reasons i didnt want to swap, I feel like getting acclimated to another keyboard feel would be a pain. especially if you like the feel you already have.

3. jm112 thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting. I think this replacement is the matte. I was actually thinking the texture was ever so slightly different. It's slightly frustrating, as I REALLY liked the keyboard on my pre-replacement rMBP, and this, well, not so much, but I don't know if I can really replace it again? As someone who does a lot of typing this could be an issue.

4. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

yeah its crazy they feel so different for being "same spec"

they're the same in that they are both keyboards and are used for typing :rolleyes:

5. jm112, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015

jm112 thread starter macrumors newbie

The trackpad also feels slightly 'duller' to me as well, however it's not something that will bother me. As someone who types a lot it will be an issue, but I'd feel pretty stupid asking for a replacement for this.

Edit: I think the trackpad is actually the same. I think I'll probably just live with keyboard :(

6. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

silly question (perhaps) but have you adjusted feedback on the force touch trackpad in settings?

theres soft, medium, and firm settings.