2015vs2014 MBP & Purchase Options

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by StubbyDew, Nov 27, 2015.

1. StubbyDew macrumors newbie

Hello, new to the forum and I am currently in the market for a new laptop. Need a machine that'll last me a good several years, so needs to be a quality build and fairly good specs (GPU isn't that important since I have a nice desktop). Originally I kind of thought that MacBooks were ridiculously overpriced (which in a way they still are), but after looking around, I've had a hard time finding a Windows-PC equivalent for a cheaper price with comparative specs (the clincher seems to be the display) with good enough reviews.

I've decided that a MacBook Pro Retina 13 inch would be one of my best options. My questions are: where is the best place to purchase them online? (Refurbished is a plus since it's significantly cheaper).
    Is there a significant enough difference between the 2014 and 2015 models that it would be worth the extra money for the new model?
    Is it possible to upgrade the SSD after the purchase? I would rather have the 256GB storage, but it would cost me $270 more than the 128GB.

Best price I've seen for refurbished is at BestBuy. $1050 for 128GB ($1000 with student discount). and $1200 for 256GB ($1150 with student discount). The 256GB deal at BestBuy is sold out for now, so if anyone knows when they might come back in stock, or if there's an equivalent or better deal let me know.

I'm open to Windows-PC equivalents as well (if that's allowed on the forum). They would have to be cheaper than the MacBook Pro, have an SSD, an equivalent display, decent reviews, and not have a crappy Intel Core M processor or something.

2. doitdada macrumors 6502a

doitdada

Would hold out if it isn't critical to change at the moment. I sold my rMBP 2015 and is now sporting a retina MacBook. Fully speced they are similar in performance with the baseline rMBP 13".

3. StubbyDew thread starter macrumors newbie

My current laptop is a budget grade Toshiba that sometimes struggles to run basic applications.

The new MacBook is not all that similar in performance to the MacBook pro. You're looking at a 1.2GHz Intel Core M vs a 2.7GHz Intel Core i5.

The new MacBook is most certainly overpriced for the specs, the only reason to buy it over a MacBook Pro or a MacBook Air is for the design and thinness of it. MacBook Air is reasonably priced, but they sadly don't have a retina display yet, and considering the MacBook Pro has retina plus a faster processor, it's the better choice for me.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Buy from Apple. Best Buy doesn't sell refurbished Macs, as far as I know, they only sell open box Macs.

I'd buy this one:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/FF840LL/A/

The 2015 model offers a faster SSD, RAM, GPU, the force touch trackpad and better battery life.

It is replaceable, but Apple doesn't consider it a user replaceable part. Additionally, 3rd party options don't exist yet so you're stuck looking for used parts pulled from systems on eBay or the like.

5. friedkimchi macrumors regular

friedkimchi

The new Dell XPS 13/15 with Skylake seems like a better option for you.

I'd get the XPS 15 myself if it was more readily available. 960M graphics/16gb RAM upgradeable to 32GB DD4, Skylake with 4k screen and a fast ssd in a smaller form factor than the current rmbp 15. Dream laptop for my use case.

But if battery life is your main priority or you're heavily invested in the mac universe, get the 13" 256 model. I'm planning to get one for myself soon as well. Need to replace my black macbook. :p