2016 13" Macbook Pro TB vs 2015 Macbook Pro 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rsg1010, Nov 18, 2016.

1. rsg1010 macrumors member

Need some advice on which MacBook Pro to buy:

My current usage is the following:

- Web browsing
    - Minor photo and video editing for casual use
    - 5/6 applications open at any given time
    - Office productivity
    - Running Windows either in bootcamp or Parallels/Vmware Fusion
    - Media consumption
    - Minor gaming but not often.

I don't have any heavy usage needs but I do like to keep my laptops for 4/5 years so to some degree, I would like to make sure that there are no noticeable slow downs through major OS updates. I currently have a 2012 rMBP 15" base model and that will be passed on to my wife so I am used to that screen size. It rarely leaves the house so I wouldn't say portability is a major concern. It has aged really well and functions as well as the day I bought it.

I was contemplating getting the base 2016 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar however for $200 more I can get a 2015 15" MacBook Pro base model.

I don't find myself using the Touch Bar as a necessity (based on my needs). Sure, it would be nice to have but not sure if its essential. I also have reservations about getting a gen 1 product if many different issues arise. I figure that 2015 15" MacBook Pro would have all the various "kinks" worked out.

Plus having a Quad Core, 16GB ram would be better for future proofing as well. Don't have any USB-C devices and not sure if I would be utilizing anything for the next couple of years

Hoping some more knowledgable people can help me out please. Thanks

2. andreyush macrumors 6502

andreyush

you just answered to your own question :). IMO buy the 2015 model :D