2016 13" mbp freezing up constantly?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bosco500, Jan 28, 2017.

1. bosco500 macrumors newbie

I had told myself I wasn't going to buy one, but I was in the apple store today and decided I would take the plunge. Got a 13" with 16gb/512gb with tb. I started installing all my apps and this thing is seriously buggy. If I am downloading more than one thing at a time, it completely freezes up. Can't use the apple menu to do force quit, can't use the sidebar, nothing. The only thing that works is the touch bar. The funny thing is that siri works while its "froze up", but thats it. Anyone else experiencing this? Its happened over 5 times in the past hour and is seriously annoying.

2. PieTunes macrumors 6502

PieTunes

Just curious, have you updated to Sierra 10.12.3 ? And when you say the system "freezes up" what do you mean by that? Does the trackpad work? Can you still move the cursor around the screen? Keyboard still work? If it's happened over 5 times in the past hour, what do you do to (temporarily) resolve it?

3. bosco500 thread starter macrumors newbie

Updating now to 10.12.3, didn't realize it was available. Thank you.

When it was freezing, all windows were frozen. Each time it happened I was downloading multiple files (two, no more). Sidebar (where the apps are) was completely froze and non functional. Top menu bar (where the apple logo is) was completely frozen and non functional. Cursor moved around screen but clicking did nothing anywhere. Touchbar was functional and showed whatever I was doing on the screen. Siri seemed to work. The downloads continued downloading (I could see the download progress in the active window).

The only way I could get it "unfroze" was a hard shutdown using the power button (fingerprint sensor). I actually got it unfroze one time by telling siri to open google.com, which completely unfroze everything.

I've never had anything like this happen on a mac. I have a 2015 MBP Retina and also a 2015 12" Macbook and have owned lots of them over the years. This is very odd, hopefully its just a buggy software issue that can be resolved via update.

4. jerryk macrumors 68030

People have talked about the initial indexing taking a few hours and making the machine unresponsive. Can you check Activity Monitor and see what is running? Also, is it possible one of the applications you are loading does not play well with the unit?