Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

62tele

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
Granted my needs are nothing earth shattering. The most intensive thing I do is Logic Pro X with a few plug-ins. The MBP is definitely a nice piece of gear. I love the screen. The keyboard is not an issue for me. The USB-c ports are not an issue. I got the Dodocool dongle for my USB 2 audio interface and to attach my iPad as a secondary monitor to the MBP. Really, I have no complaints other than the price but the Apple Store matched Best Buy's $1399 sale price. If the TB version was more reasonably priced I may have opted for it.

My mid-2010 quad core, 27" iMac was getting long in the tooth so I purchased a base 2016 MBP (non-TB) model with 2.0 GHz i5 and 8 GB RAM. I wondered whether it could handle my modest Logic Pro X needs but, I have to say that it's definitely an improvement over the iMac and much more space efficient. Perhaps it's the SSD but MBP is definitely faster loading Logic and projects. Also, occasional the iMac would overload with certain Logic projects but the MBP played those same projects without a problem.

For years I said that if the iPad ever became powerful enough to run Logic I could get by without a desktop. So, I figured I might be able to make do with a laptop. I can. I love the iMac but, at present, I have no plans to upgrade after the iMacs are refreshed.

Reactions: Kjung7

Kjung7

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2013
Good to see a positive review of the 13 inch MBP on MacRumors.

I'm hoping my 13 inch will be enough to handle Lightroom and Final Cut

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.