Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

washikanto

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2016
It's super weird that I can hear the fans spin on 15" but not on the 2015 13"...

Can you hear the fans in idle in a quiet environment if you put your year close to the laptop?
Hmm, I just tried on my 15" 2016 MBP and in a quiet room I can just barely make out the left fan if I put my ear almost touching the keyboard. And by "barely" I mean I can hear an extremely faint whirr that I almost missed. From your description of your fans, it seems like you're hearing more than I am. This was done after ~1 hour of light browsing and the fans showed 2160rpm/2000rpm.

monkeydax

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
This is getting really weird - can anyone else with a 2016 MBP tell us if they hear the fans at all in idle please ?
edit : I've changed the name of the thread to reflect the new discussion
It should be pretty inaudible, when at idle speeds. Even if you put your ear there.

kwandrews

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Colorado, USA
Hey guys can you check on your 15inch 2016 models if you can hear the fans slowly spinning even without the laptop actually doing anything ( on the desktop with no programs open ) ? I can only hear them in a quiet room but I wanna know if it's everybody's 15inch or just mine... I hear the fans from the left side of laptop near the USB-C ports
Yes, I have to hold it to my ears though. Not concerned.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
No, I don't hear anything. The thing is dead silent. Why would it be strange? It runs very cool. CPU temp sensor doesn't exceed 40 degrees Celsius under light use. Fan is not broken by the way, I have seen it spinning up under heavier load.

Only that I expected the fan to also was be on if present. It's just my expectation :)

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
In a dead silent room at night with no cars outside, I can discern a very faint whirring noise from the fans of my 15" MBP.

As soon as there is even the slightest ambient noise, I can't hear the idling fans anymore without holding my ear to the laptop.

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
The 13" TB MBP doesn't seem to do this, while the 15" does. My best guess is that it's the fan of the dedicated GPU we're hearing. On the upside, the 2016 model really stays very quiet even during CPU / GPU intensive tasks. The previous model sometimes sounded like a vacuum cleaner.

Reactions: macnisse

Ovedius

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Norway
According to Notebookcheck, the fans in the 2016 are slightly more noticeable than the retina Pros:

"Subjectively, they are very quiet and only audible in very quiet environments at a distance of less than 50 centimeters. Even though the frequency is very convenient, it is still a clear step back. Almost all Apple notebooks so far were silent without load."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.