2016 15-inch MBP: waking up problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by msvadi, Apr 1, 2018.

1. msvadi macrumors 6502

It's a 2016 15-inch MBP with a touch bar running High Sierra 10.13.3. Sometimes when opening the lid, my Mac would display a battery icon and the spinning beach ball (see the attached image). The system would be very sluggish taking 5-10 minutes to wake up and start working normally. Sometimes, it would stay completely frozen.

This does not happen every time, but often enough to be super annoying. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks.

IMG_0214.JPG

2. duervo macrumors 68020

duervo

First thing I do (after ruling out a software issue,) when experiencing any sort of sleep/wake or power issue is to try an SMC reset.

3. msvadi thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. It seems an SMC reset helped somewhat. I also disabled safe sleep, deep sleep, and hibernation, because besides the issue described above, I would also often see a black screen for a couple of minutes when the computer wakes up from sleep. With normal sleep only, it seems to work well for the past few days.

4. msvadi thread starter macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, resetting SMC does not help - the problem always comes back. I think I also found how to replicate the problem. It happens when I close the lid before connecting the power cable (USB-C). However, if I connect the power cable before closing the lid, the computer wakes up with no problems. Any suggestions?

5. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

While the issue I had with my computer is not similar to the screen shots shown above, I did have some sleep wake issues to the point of causing kernel panics. The fix I'm applying currently is disabling disk encryption as I have read about some of these issues related to that. So far, I haven't seen any random reboots and on top, my bluetooth issues I noticed are almost nonexistent.