2016 15 inch - Wifi flakey when far from router. Booster solution?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thedommer2000, Nov 25, 2016.

1. thedommer2000 macrumors member

Hi, I have the 15 inch Mac book pro 2016. I have it in an office upstairs where I was in the past using a Mac Pro with a really good wifi card with antennas. Now that I have the laptop I am finding the internet terrible in the room. As soon as I leave the room and come closer to the router, it is fine. I don't have access to ethernet. Wireless is the only way. Is there a way of boosting the laptop when I am in there? Maybe an external antenna?

I am also going to probably try using an external router on my Rogers cable box to see if that helps. I have one lying around that I haven't used in a while that is still quite good.

Anyways, any thoughts you have would be great!

2. npreq macrumors member

npreq

There are some range extenders avaible, but to be honest, they're not that good. By necessity they have to cut your transfer speed in half (they're all half duplex). Unless you use WDS (you shouldn't), but then you'll have disconnection problems. Unfortunately the best way is to just lay some ethernet cable and put a second access point.
    OR you may be interested in the new google wifi stuff, since it does meshing ootb, and as far as i know, it does it right.

3. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Range extenders may not be that good, but that might be the only option.

4. npreq macrumors member

npreq

It's much better to go for a proper mesh solution if cable is unavaible. Range extenders are a duct tape tier fix. I'd still recommend cable over a mesh though

5. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

That might also be an option for OP... we know Ethernet and any other cabling is out.