2016 15" MBP Brightness Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AdonisSMU, Dec 4, 2016.

1. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I compared the brightness with my new LG 4k display and noticed the my new MBP is dim in comparison by a long shot even turned all the way up. Anyone else seeing this?

2. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

I believe the way the new MacBook Pros work is that the screen will get about as bright as the previous generation when at 16 clicks from bottom (i.e. 100% brightness as set by the user).

The extra 67% is provided automatically in situations that need it. For example, if you are in direct sunlight, the screen will get brighter than you can set it.

I haven't got proof of this, but this is what happens on the iPhone 7 and Apple Watch Series 2 as confirmed by DisplayMate. When they release their report for the new Pros I am sure they will mention it.

The point of this feature is to save power, based on the premise that you would never need more than the 'normal' (i.e. equivalent to the previous generation) full brightness for indoor use.

3. UntitledImage macrumors regular

UntitledImage

Yes, Mine too, seems very dim- I made a separate post about it before seeing this.

Brookzy- you make an interesting point! I wonder if it's true. And I guess you're have to have auto backlight on too? I suppose I figured it would blow me away at the halfway mark sitting at my desk. As a veteran of much older laptops, the trick was never to crank the brightness as you would potentially ruin your screen and create a lot of heat, so the feeling is that cranking the brightness on this thing just to get to where it seems normal could be damaging to the computer..... but then again, I'm probably just behind the times. :)

Anyone able to test this out yet?

4. Macalway macrumors 68020

Have both and your right. The LG is very, very, nice, so who cares :D

We are splitting hairs here really. The 15 TB is good enough. It's not like it's dim.

Also, there seems to be a fair amount of antireflective coating on the laptop.