2016 15" Thermal Paste Instructions?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hackintosh Sr., Dec 27, 2016.

1. Hackintosh Sr. macrumors regular

Anyone brave enough to change out the thermal paste yet in the 2016 touchbar models? The heatsink is flipped toward the back and I am too scared to replace without step by step. Anyone want to create that?

2. Denumerable macrumors member

Denumerable

These machines run very cool. Why would you want to even mess with a potential disaster like that?

3. jk76 macrumors member

That's one great way to void your warranty. Seriously, I would leave internals of these machines alone at least until off warranty and off consumer protection, which can easily be interpreted in some countries to extend 1-3 years beyond one-year standard warranty in case of a manufacturing or a design defect.

4. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

I agree, at least wait to do it until it's out of warranty. By then I'm sure someone like ifixit will have a guide up.

5. Jaekae macrumors 6502

So pointless to even think about it on a new machine that has all temeperatures below limits..

6. MH01, Dec 28, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016

MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

7. jk76 macrumors member

Of course you can try to minimize mechanical strain caused by thermal expansion, but modern CPUs do throttle without any external help at the critical temperature limit. Active, intelligent thermal throttling has been a thing for CPUs and GPUs for quite a while now. I suspect that increasing cooling efficiency (which I don't really believe to change much by changing thermal paste) would just make chips run longer at higher frequencies, but not really lower temperatures. Uneven thermal paste might cause problems with some parts of the chip seeing less effective cooling than others, and this might actually cause reduced, not increase component lifetimes...

8. Hackintosh Sr. thread starter macrumors regular

You guys are more scared than I was :) and understandably so. I just got done and it doesn't hit thermal throttling like it used to.

Before Handbrake encoding mkv to mp4 my max ghz was 2.7 and it kept hitting 100 Celsius.

Now it never goes over 96 Celsius and stays at a constant 3.2ghz the whole time. I thought the turbo frequency was higher than that, but seems like 3.2 is all it liked.

Anyway, much cooler now.

Pic of before attached. I didn't do step by step but it basically is about 300 times harder than previous models :p. Took about 2 hours.

Attached Files:

9. bizack macrumors 6502

Ummm, you have the PCB on what appears to be a towel, rug or carpet. That's a pretty great way to have static discharge destroy your laptop. Why would you do this?

10. Creep89 macrumors 6502

Wow that looks really bad. Sadly I don't have the balls to do it.

11. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

While the system is still under warranty, if you have concerns about temperature, then have Apple deal with it. They can reapply the thermal paste for you at a Genius Bar, if you want it done bad enough.

If you want to do it yourself, then wait until the system is out of warranty. The new ones, as you said, have the heatsink on the top of the board, as opposed to the bottom like in previous generations, so it requires complete removal of the main board to even get to it, increasing the risk of damage and subsequent voiding of the warranty.

Geezuz ... you didn't wait very long at all before you just went and did it anyway ... and on a towel to boot. Makes me wonder why you even bothered asking to begin with. You could've had the Genius Bar do it for you for free.

... and holy moly, that's a lot of paste they put on there. I think that's even more than they put on the older models.

12. Hackintosh Sr. thread starter macrumors regular

man you guys complain a lot. It was grounded. I love all the experts here. May just delete this thread.

13. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

For the record ... I mentioned the towel because it introduces the possibility of components getting caught on the small loops of fabric in the towel, thereby increasing the risk of physical damage to your board when you lift it up ... and that was not a complaint, just an observation.

If that's gotten you that upset, maybe you should just delete the thread ... if you can.

14. Hackintosh Sr. thread starter macrumors regular

For the record lol. Glad you cleared that up hahahah

15. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Disrespectful. Good luck getting responses to future requests for opinions around here.

If you don't like the answers, you probably shouldn't ask the question.

16. Hackintosh Sr. thread starter macrumors regular

You are ridiculous dude. Ill be quite fine if you don't answer any questions.

How does that answer any question?

I asked if anyone had step by step. I posted findings, then got blasted for using a towel and not going to a Genius Bar to have it done.

Do I care no one had a step by step? No. I took action myself. This was about throttling thresholds, fan rampup, and inevitably better battery life. I posted my findings and was going to reply if anyone had any questions.

Go find another thread to make yourself feel better about your posts.

17. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

Kudos to you for doing this, and it sounds like it paid off. How did you clean the old paste off?

18. mbezzo macrumors member

well done! Braver than I! Was gonna swap displays on on a replacement machine but decided against it.

19. Hackintosh Sr. thread starter macrumors regular

I always use this arcticsilver arcticlean. It seems to get the job done. I apply with qtips and just make sure there isn't any cotton residue on it. Ive also used high percentage isopropyl alcohol, but the articlean seems a little less messier.