2016/17 MBP Screen brightness preferences...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WhiteWhaleHolyGrail, Jul 18, 2017.

1. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

What brightness levels do you guys keep your MBPs at when plugged in? I believe that the impressive brightness only kicks in beyond 60% and so I tend to have mine at 80%. On battery, I have it around the 50% mark. Obviously ambient lighting makes a difference to the levels.

I wish that Apple would implement battery/AC profiles so that the brightness auto-switches as opposed to just dimming slightly when on battery.

2. Patcell macrumors 6502

I would LOVE to have battery and AC profiles for the panel! I do pretty much exactly what you do... on battery I try to keep it at 50% brightness (unless it is an extremely bright environment). On AC power, I keep it about 75% or so depending on comfort level.

I also noticed that these machines don't seem much brighter than the previous panels until you get over 60-70%. Actually, I put my 2017 15" next to my 2014 15" and there wasn't much of a perceivable difference in brightness until you get to the higher ranges.

3. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail thread starter macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

Yep, same experience.

My old Thinkpad had a great energy saving profile which allowed to you to define the brightness for battery and AC. So simple yet so effective!

4. Patcell macrumors 6502

That's funny.. I was going to mention that also... my wife has a Lenovo machine from her job, and it has great customizability when it comes to panel brightness on battery vs. AC.

Maybe Apple will implement in the future..? Doubtful at this point unfortunately. Oh well, takes a couple seconds to adjust manually.