2016/2017 Pro getting hot/noisy in your knee?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Music Lover, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Music Lover macrumors member

Hi there!
    Having a MB2015 today and planning to buy a 2017, 13" Pro, nTB.

Is the Pro getting hot while working with it in your knee?
    Also, is the fan kicking in sooner if the Pro is in your knee?

Thanks!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well, my 2012 MBP gets warm on my knees, and these machines tend to run hotter then older models, so I'd say it will.

3. satinsilverem2 macrumors 6502a

satinsilverem2

I have a 2016 TB MBP and its silent and cool 99 percent of the time. the ONLY time I can get the fans to come on is when I'm transcoding a project in FCPX. Coming from a 2011 machine that had fans that would scream if you even looked at the computer this is a major improvement. According to Intels gadget my temps most of the time are between 35-55 degrees Celsius. Even doing work in Lightroom or photoshop doesn't even really raise the temps.

4. Karnicopia macrumors 6502

Yeah I haven't had any issues with a 2016 getting too hot it really only seems to get warm if I hook it up to the 5k where it's usually on the desk anyway and the fans seem quiet to me when they do kick on. I use this thing in my lap a lot too that's probably my primary use case. I have a 15" 16GB and 460 and I've been using it casually for a couple hours now and a lot of that on my lap and it's at 38 c or 101 f and it looks like the dGPU is running and has been for a while.

5. Primus67 macrumors newbie

Yes, it does. I have a 2017 MBP tb 13". And i feel it gets warmer then my earlier MBA. Not much but a little. And the fan's kicking in as soon as it gets a little bit warm. I thought it should be better then it is in this.

6. Music Lover thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the feedback!
    Anybody with nTB 13"?

7. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

I am yet to see a notebook that doesn't get warm in the lap. But for casual use, I find my MBP 2016 perfectly usable even on my knees.

BTW, you do know that Apple avoids the word "LAPTOP" and uses notebook because they don't really consider notebook computers to be intended for laps.