2016-2019 15" deciding on GPU?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by x-evil-x, May 30, 2019.

1. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

Apple is swapping out my machine for a 2019 model I currently have an 2.7ghz Intel HD Graphics 530 and Radeon Pro 460 4 GB. 16gig ram standard.
    I know I want to go with the i9 2.3ghz 8 core machine just debating on what GPUs I need. Is the basic Radeon Pro 560X with 4GB of GDDR5 memory a big step up from my current 460? I mostly use my computer for trading stocks. I have multiple charts open all day long day after day. Usually day 3-4 my computer slows down way too much that I can't use it without restarting. My ram is around 13-14 gig at all times.
    Would it be smart to get 32gb ram and what gpu?

Radeon Pro 560X with 4GB of GDDR5 memory
    Radeon Pro Vega 16 with 4GB of HBM2 memory
    Radeon Pro Vega 20 with 4GB of HBM2 memory

I could possibly go the egpu instead of paying 250-350 more but don't know if id use it that much.
    The 2016's do seem a bit underpowered compared to what they have now so its nice having options.
    Thoughts?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're already at the point of getting octo-core laptop, just bite the bullet and get the Vega20. You may be kicking yourself down the road for not getting that, so just do it.

That doesn't really tell us much, as free ram is wasted ram. In the activity monitor see what the ram pressure is. I don't know if the need to reboot is due to high usage and you need to clear out the swap file or not, but that may be a leading cause and 32GB could be better but I just don't know and I'm not familiar with the software.

3. leman macrumors G3

No, it’s basically the same GPU

Sounds like your software has a memory leak. No hardware updates will help with that. And it’s very unlikely that a stock trading software is using a GPU in any significant way.

4. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 601

x-evil-x

I most use trading view and a few trading platforms. Safari tells me the website is using a high amount of energy at the top and I use chrome too. How can I find out if there’s a memory leak?

5. jerryk macrumors 601

As maflynn said, see what the Memory Pressure display shows. If it is the green you are OK. Yellow is not good. Red is bad.

The way memory is used is a computer is to allocate as much as possible to running processes. This means a couple of running processes could and should allocate large amounts of the memory available on the system. Memory unallocated does no process any good.

If other processes need memory MacOS will reallocate unused memory from other processes. This is completely normal and how the MacOS is designed to work.

The memory pressure is Apple's way of showing when we there are so many processes requesting memory that MacOS cannot easily find unused memory to reallocate. This condition is indicate as yellow and red on the graph to show the severity of this memory shortage.

Bottom line unless you are seeing yellow and red on the memory pressure you are probably OK. And do not assume that because Safari or Chrome is using a lot of memory on the process table they are "leaking". They may have needed that memory to buffer data you downloaded to run a calculation or draw a big chart, and already the processess has already deallocated the memory when you went to another page. But since no other process needs the memory is still shown as allocated to Safari or Chrome even though MacOS can take that memory and give to any other process that needs it.

6. leman macrumors G3

If your RAM usage increases over the time, you most likely have a memory leak. The memory pressure tool is a great way to figure it out, as mentioned. Shutting down an offending app should reset the issue.

7. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 601

x-evil-x

yep memory pressure is green. I need to shut down chrome and safari more frequently I guess.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Chrome is horribly bloated and while its my browser of choice, its not svelte by any means