2016 Keyboard after service repair

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deadworlds, Dec 19, 2018.

1. deadworlds, Dec 19, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2018

deadworlds macrumors 65816

deadworlds

On Dec 15th I took my 15' MBP to the apple store for a blown out right speaker. The MBP was sent out for repair and I knew that a top case replacement would be necessary so I was already aware that I would be getting a new battery and new keyboard.

Today I picked up my MBP from the store, came home and started using it. One of the first things I noticed is that the keyboard feels and sounds dramatically different. The keys feel mushier and the sound is also more muted. The previous keyboard sounded more clicky and the keys felt less cushioned.

I am writing here to share my experience but also to inquire about if anyone has had similar experiences with new keyboard replacements in the 2016 MBP. I knew that apple stated they wouldn't be using the Gen 3 buttery fly keyboard on the 2016, so is this a Gen 2 perhaps?

2. duffyanneal, Dec 19, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2018

duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

The gen 3 has a flexible barrier under the key cap to prevent debris from entering the key mechanism. The barrier is what is causing the sound change you are hearing and less crisp action you are feeling. There wasn’t much of a difference in sound and key feel of the gen 2 vs gen 1. It seems like you have a gen 3.

3. DeanPSN macrumors regular

DeanPSN

They replaced it with the 2017 model, which feels a bit better than the 2016 one.
    They cannot replace with 3rd gen because the internals are different.

4. deadworlds thread starter macrumors 65816

deadworlds

That was my assumption. The difference between this is really apparent between the two. I really enjoy the feel of the Gen 2 butterfly keyboard.

5. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

You like the older one better or the one you have now?

6. deadworlds thread starter macrumors 65816

deadworlds

I like the new keyboard a lot (Gen 2) that I received after a speaker repair. It’s quieter and the keys feel more cushioned when pressing down on them.