2016 Macbook 512 GB vs 2017 Macbook 256 GB

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by darkSejong, Jul 31, 2017.

1. darkSejong, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017

darkSejong macrumors newbie

I am looking at a deal of $1100 for a 2016 Macbook m5 512GB SSD 8GB RAM and was wondering if this is worth it over just paying a bit more and getting the 2017 Macbook m3 with 256GB SSD.

Heard some stuff about the keyboard being not the best, but for those who may have experienced both, is the price + storage space worth it in place of the poor keyboard?

Decisions, decisions....

2. KPOM macrumors G5

Which model of the 2016? Is it the m5 or the m7? If it's the m7 it is about the same speed as the 2017 m3. The keyboard in the 2017 is a bit nicer, but if you are coming from a MacBook Air or older Pro, both models will be an adjustment. The change is more noticeable to those who have used the first generation MacBook keyboard. I do prefer the second generation, though. Once you get used to it, it's actually pretty good.

3. darkSejong thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

If you feel at all like space is going to be an issue and you're thinking of flash drives and actively managing cloud storage, etc. then save yourself the hassle and go with 512GB on the older model.

As a former owner of the 12 inch MacBook (recently upgraded to the new pro) I can tell you that managing external drives with one USB port is a HUGE hassle. Always fumbling with adapters, cords, having to choose between storage or power unless you splurge for a quality adapter, which then adds bulk and complexity... just BLAH.