Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
My MacBook hasn't been the best with battery life. I never got around to servicing it because I don't mind throwing it on the charger and I don't travel for long periods (e.g. plane) where I would not have a power outlet.

According to coconut battery I am at 376 charge cycles but at 84% battery capacity. Now, this laptop is 3.5 years old. It performs well for all the tasks I do. I just find that number to be disappointing. I don't do processor intensive tasks and the brightness is always between 50% - 70%.

This to me would seem odd considering apple advertised 80% at 1000 charge cycles. I read in the past on here about the battery issues with this generation but just wanted to chime in and get some thoughts.

Is it worth it to get the battery replaced?

Is it possible to replace on my own?

I've considering upgrading, but with the news of no mbp 14" I will be holding out. I am not interested in the air. This is my only computing device so as nice as the iPad pro's are, I can't make that jump yet.

Thanks

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
The Retina Macbook has a glued in battery and is quite difficult to replace on your own.

I'd suggest you contact Apple - they will do the repairs. Or an independent shop like the one in NYC - Louis ....

Last time I requested this for my 2015 rMB, they quoted $300 for a battery.

I ended up buying a 2017 for $700 - now I have a second rMB which I love!
IMG_5543.jpg

MarkAtl

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2019
I wouldn't bother replacing if still at 84%. You could always get an external USB-C battery that would act as a top-up, but if you say you're mostly close to a charger that's kind of pointless.

Reactions: Eggtastic

joefoong79

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2017
Replace the battery only it was a bulge. if not don't waste your money now. keep on using it. Get an external battery for longer use for now.

FilmIndustryGuy

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2015
Manhattan Beach, CA
I just got apple to put in a new battery in mine at 760 cycles 80% health in 3 years. pay apple the $199 to do it or use an external battery brick like RavPower for $55 that puts out 30w. this way youll get double the power on the go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.