2016 Macbook Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by matchu, Sep 16, 2017.

1. matchu macrumors newbie

Hey gang,

So I purchased my 2016 MacBook in January. By April, my battery had dropped to around 5100 mAh, so I took it to Apple and the manager basically accused me of wanted a new MacBook and that my battery degradation was fine.

So now I'm here, 7 months in, with 91 cycles and my battery at 4888 mAh (88% life) and I'm seriously annoyed. This can't be normal, can it?

2. Marcopolo53 macrumors regular

As comparison have 2016 Macbook 1.2 Ghz, 512 GB SSD purchased from Apple as Refurb. Bought April 2017 (6 months old) and battery @ 17 cycles and holding average of 5400mAh and 98.xx% of rated charge.

3. ThaiBruin macrumors newbie

4. Marcopolo53 macrumors regular

5. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

Is the 88% remaining total capacity a figure that was determined by Apple after they performed a battery diagnostic, the macOS Profiler, or a figure reported by a 3rd party program like Coconut Battery?

If this number was ascertained by the test Apple uses, this could indicate the battery has accelerated wear for one reason or another.

Are you seeing noticeably different runtimes from when the system was new?

6. ErnstStavroBlohard macrumors member

Try returning another day and talk to a different salesperson/supervisor. Y'never know what kind of service you're going to get on a given day at an Apple "public square"

7. ascender macrumors 68020

ascender

So what does this mean in real terms? How long did the battery last you for typical use on a single charge when new and how long does it last you now?

8. matchu thread starter macrumors newbie

I could get about 8 hours off power web browsing, screenwriting and emailing. Now I'm lucky to get 6.

9. ascender macrumors 68020

ascender

I'd be tempted to book a genius appointment and tell them that rather than quoting anything about battery degradation and cycles. Also, if you've tried all the usual rest stuff, mention that too.

10. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

If you are confident you have ruled out software and environmental causes, if it were me, personally, I would go back to Apple and ask them to re-evaluate their original position because it sounds like your battery is degrading at a speed faster than it should.

11. Buerkletucson macrumors 6502

Buerkletucson

Did you purchase it directly from Apple?
    What was the initial charge of the battery when you first fired it up?

12. Mike Boreham macrumors 68000