Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macbook14in

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2016
I'm going to college later this year, and I am seriously considering to get the 2016 Macbook with m5 processor. I really like the fact that it is lightweight. Will this laptop be powerful enough for my needs if I plan to become a webapps & mobile apps developer?

spazma7ik

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2009
It will be able to run IDEs, compile code and handle everything a SE needs to run. As a CS graduate I will say that it's very common to have many apps open at once and especially browser tabs when you're researching various things. It will be a noticeable slowdown when you get into that territory but that's manageable.

christ0pher

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2016
It's fine. I have the m7 (which apparently isn't much faster than the m5, but i'm doing on the side web dev, unity dev and wanted a little extra power) and am in fourth year software engineering and it runs identical to my 2015 base model macbook air; it's more than capable in doing thing which university level computer science requires of it.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
This thread is useful to me in that I'm starting a programming course this October and I've had a 15" rMBP for the past 3 years, I'm looking at the possibility of replacing it with the Retina MacBook but I was worried about taking a significant hit in power for a small and lighter form factor. Hearing you guys say it's manageable is good news so I can look at it in more detail, think I'd miss the big screen on this thing though but I don't know if I fancy lugging this thing to and from uni every day.

What do you guys think is best?

Specs of my rMBP:
MOD NOTE: image containing serial number removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Macbook14in

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2016
I'm torn between getting the rumoured 14" Retina Macbook or the upcoming thinner 13" Macbook Pro

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.