Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dan9700

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2015
i love the new 2016 Macbook pro but what i loved with the 2015 one was the option to enable silent clicking and not hearing the click only feel it, why has 2016 taken that option away, its still there on 2015 macs so annoying, the click at night is so annoying

Reactions: mortenandersen

dan9700

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2015
Tap to click doesnt turn the sound off to be honest what does it do with it off i still click things

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Tap to click doesnt turn the sound off to be honest what does it do with it off i still click things
When you tap, the haptic feedback doesn't activate. When you press the haptic feedback activates and because of the larger touchpad, you hear it. This is why there is no quiet mode.

mahcus36

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2016
When you tap, the haptic feedback doesn't activate. When you press the haptic feedback activates and because of the larger touchpad, you hear it. This is why there is no quiet mode.
so, the vibration motor is louder in this generation? since it has to work for a larger trackpad? and because of the sound coming from the louder vibration motor, they couldn't have a "silent click" mode, since the vibration would still be heard...am I understanding this correctly?

ssong

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
London, UK
so, the vibration motor is louder in this generation? since it has to work for a larger trackpad? and because of the sound coming from the louder vibration motor, they couldn't have a "silent click" mode, since the vibration would still be heard...am I understanding this correctly?

judging by these teadown pics from ifixit, that does not seem to be the case.

This is the teardown from 2015 rMBP, you can see the taptic module there in the middle.
KOcZaKIgb2EBR5rM.medium

and below is the 2016 TB MBP, 15" model. Not much difference in size if you ask me.
dbXTYDTiCBgKM2XX.huge

+ The taptic module should be controlled by SW so regardless of its size, the vibration strength could easily be set to less.

Reactions: mahcus36

mahcus36

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2016

This is the teardown from 2015 rMBP, you can see the taptic module there in the middle.
KOcZaKIgb2EBR5rM.medium

and below is the 2016 TB MBP, 15" model. Not much difference in size if you ask me.
dbXTYDTiCBgKM2XX.huge

+ The taptic module should be controlled by SW so regardless of its size, the vibration strength could easily be set to less.
hmm, I see. regardless, it's a shame they removed this feature. the click sound is kinda annoying tbh

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015

KOcZaKIgb2EBR5rM.medium

dbXTYDTiCBgKM2XX.huge

It's not the size of the Taptic Engine that changed, its the construction of the touchpad itself. The much larger unit on the new models is effectively a much longer sound board. You can also see that in the rmbp it is attached to the chassis and not the touch pad itself. In the 2015 MacBook Pro units the Taptic Engine is attached to the touchpad like the 2016 model but the touchpad had a large thick plastic layer stuck to the touchpad which would obviously dampen the sound.

skids929

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
Tap to click is better and silent, if you have any feeling in finger you feel it too

This is your solution. ^^^^

The day I got my Mac I turned on tap to click. Mainly since I was used to it from my white MB. But overall I prefer it, it's more refined way to interact with the trackpad in my opinion, I also like how it compliments the gentle way you (should) use the new keyboard.

I find I sometimes use the Taptic but mostly use the tap to click.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.