2016 MacBook Pro 15 for music production worth it ?

Glisteningfloor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2017
So I'm on the verge of buying a new MacBook Pro 15" (base model) that will be mostly used for creative work (music production) and some light gaming. As the new gen of pros come with only usb-c ports, I was wondering if a USB-C to USB-B cable will be able to function properly on my midi keyboard as it would regularly run thru a usb-a to usb-b. I like the alternative of USB-c to USB-b opposed to buying dongles.

So any opinions, help, recommendations will be greatly appreciate.

Thank you. Glis

tryrtryrtryrt

Suspended
Sep 10, 2016
@Glisteningfloor IMHO USB-C to USB-B must function properly. However the question is if you're able to find such a cable. You could end up with USB-C -> USB-A -> USB-A -> USB-B. :) Should still work but will be kind of ugly.

Other than that I second @maflynn's opinion.

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

Unless you absolutely have-to-have portability, for music production a current (2015) iMac would probably be better.

Better CPU, bigger display (VERY useful for digital audio software timelines), "legacy" ports (yes, you'll appreciate them).

Saturnine

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK
Reactions: tryrtryrtryrt

Glisteningfloor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2017
OP:

Unless you absolutely have-to-have portability, for music production a current (2015) iMac would probably be better.

Better CPU, bigger display (VERY useful for digital audio software timelines), "legacy" ports (yes, you'll appreciate them).
Yeah that's the thing I do want portability cause I'll be doing some moving around some locations. I have absolutely thought of a iMac but the factor of portability with MacBook Pro really takes my pick. But thank you for your reply.:)
[doublepost=1492893671][/doublepost]
@Glisteningfloor IMHO USB-C to USB-B must function properly. However the question is if you're able to find such a cable. You could end up with USB-C -> USB-A -> USB-A -> USB-B. :) Should still work but will be kind of ugly.

Other than that I second @maflynn's opinion.
Yeah that would be ugly but it looks like several companies have put they're
Future cap on and made USB-b to USB-c.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/accessories/apd/a8487732?dgc=ST&cid=308990&lid=5841086&acd=1230980731501410&ven1=sfeNJZPTs&ven2=,&ven3=112203842452491834
[doublepost=1492893718][/doublepost]
Should work fine. I've used a USB-C to USB-Micro-B cable for weeks with zero issues.
What device have you used it with if you don't mind me asking :)

Sanpete

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Been using the cable with the hard drive I use for Time Machine, so it's used many times daily. Not a rigorous test of how the cable you need will work for your application, of course, but I can add that I haven't heard of people having any special issues with those cables. And all sorts of issues do show up here!

Glisteningfloor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2017
Been using the cable with the hard drive I use for Time Machine, so it's used many times daily. Not a rigorous test of how the cable you need will work for your application, of course, but I can add that I haven't heard of people having any special issues with those cables. And all sorts of issues do show up here!
I see it sounds reliable, an should work on my application quite well. Not like my keyboard is a powerhog haha. So now the decision still lays on the 2015 pro or the 2016 pro. What do u guys think ?

xb2003

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2016
MO
I would definitely recommend the 2015 base model, especially if your work is critical. There is absolutely no reason to have the dGPU for anything audio. They are the first thing to fail in a laptop, and especially in a MacBook. The 2015 has the ports you need, plenty of CPU, same amount of memory. And is $500 less.

Reactions: Glisteningfloor

tryrtryrtryrt

Suspended
Sep 10, 2016
Here is another overall look on 2016 vs 2015
Compared to the 2015
/ for some noticeably better screen and speakers, for some barely noticeable change in screen and speakers - go to store and see for yourself
- different trackpad, your hands will always touch it accidentally while using keyboard
/ technically better but practically indistinguishable SSD
- quite the same battery life achieved by cutting the battery Wh by 25% and being much more aggressive on battery saving (computer will consider it's idle much faster thus more deeds will start with initial small lag)
+ smaller
+ lighter
+ Touch ID
- Touch Bar disrupts your standard keyboard usage: if you don't find any use to its intended functionality - context dependent buttons - which many don't, it will only worsen your keyboard experience; if you find use to its intended functionality then it's both minus and plus
- more mistyping on new keyboard (if you don't type fast this will likely not affect you)
+ universal Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports

Glisteningfloor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2017
I would definitely recommend the 2015 base model, especially if your work is critical. There is absolutely no reason to have the dGPU for anything audio. They are the first thing to fail in a laptop, and especially in a MacBook. The 2015 has the ports you need, plenty of CPU, same amount of memory. And is $500 less.
Do you mind telling me why the 2016 mbps DGPU is not good for audio? just curious as why a newer MacBook pro would be worse for a heavy task such as audio production.

tryrtryrtryrt

Suspended
Sep 10, 2016
Do you mind telling me why the 2016 mbps DGPU is not good for audio? just curious as why a newer MacBook pro would be worse for a heavy task such as audio production.
It's not that the dGPU itself is bad for audio. It's that in Macs dGPU has historically been the most frequent reason for failure of the whole laptop.

xb2003

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2016
MO
It's not that the dGPU itself is bad for audio. It's that in Macs dGPU has historically been the most frequent reason for failure of the whole laptop.
This is exactly right. If your work is critical, having one less thing that can go wrong at the worst possible time might be a blessing. And with the money you'd save, you could get well over half of a gaming PC that will run circles around the MBP for anything video.

Glisteningfloor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2017
Thank you everybody who voiced they're opinion and the helpful knowledge you sprinkled on my brain. I will be buying the 2015 MacBook Pro. Adequate enough for more work and reliability I can count on. Thank you everyone

Charlesje

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2016
Just keep in mind that the 2015 will make quite a lot more ventilation noise when performing under load (typical daw situation), which make it an impossible companion when recording in the same room. Also, the 2016 will perform about 15% faster, which can be a critical improvement for heavy plugin processing. But the price difference of course isn't small.