2016 MacBook Pro 15 for music production worth it ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Glisteningfloor, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Glisteningfloor macrumors newbie

Glisteningfloor

So I'm on the verge of buying a new MacBook Pro 15" (base model) that will be mostly used for creative work (music production) and some light gaming. As the new gen of pros come with only usb-c ports, I was wondering if a USB-C to USB-B cable will be able to function properly on my midi keyboard as it would regularly run thru a usb-a to usb-b. I like the alternative of USB-c to USB-b opposed to buying dongles.

So any opinions, help, recommendations will be greatly appreciate.

Thank you. Glis

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You do have 14 days to try it out, and see if there's any problems.

3. tryrtryrtryrt Suspended

@Glisteningfloor IMHO USB-C to USB-B must function properly. However the question is if you're able to find such a cable. You could end up with USB-C -> USB-A -> USB-A -> USB-B. :) Should still work but will be kind of ugly.

Other than that I second @maflynn's opinion.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

OP:

Unless you absolutely have-to-have portability, for music production a current (2015) iMac would probably be better.

Better CPU, bigger display (VERY useful for digital audio software timelines), "legacy" ports (yes, you'll appreciate them).

5. tryrtryrtryrt Suspended

But beware, new iMac might be released in the next several months.

6. -Garry- macrumors 6502a

-Garry-

7. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Should work fine. I've used a USB-C to USB-Micro-B cable for weeks with zero issues.

8. Glisteningfloor thread starter macrumors newbie

Glisteningfloor

Yeah that's the thing I do want portability cause I'll be doing some moving around some locations. I have absolutely thought of a iMac but the factor of portability with MacBook Pro really takes my pick. But thank you for your reply.:)
    --- Post Merged, Apr 22, 2017 ---
    Yeah that would be ugly but it looks like several companies have put they're
    Future cap on and made USB-b to USB-c.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/acce...ven1=sfeNJZPTs&ven2=,&ven3=112203842452491834
    --- Post Merged, Apr 22, 2017 ---
    What device have you used it with if you don't mind me asking :)

9. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Been using the cable with the hard drive I use for Time Machine, so it's used many times daily. Not a rigorous test of how the cable you need will work for your application, of course, but I can add that I haven't heard of people having any special issues with those cables. And all sorts of issues do show up here!

10. Glisteningfloor thread starter macrumors newbie

Glisteningfloor

I see it sounds reliable, an should work on my application quite well. Not like my keyboard is a powerhog haha. So now the decision still lays on the 2015 pro or the 2016 pro. What do u guys think ?

11. xb2003 macrumors 6502

xb2003

I would definitely recommend the 2015 base model, especially if your work is critical. There is absolutely no reason to have the dGPU for anything audio. They are the first thing to fail in a laptop, and especially in a MacBook. The 2015 has the ports you need, plenty of CPU, same amount of memory. And is $500 less.

12. Sanpete macrumors 68020

13. tryrtryrtryrt Suspended

Here is another overall look on 2016 vs 2015

14. Glisteningfloor thread starter macrumors newbie

Glisteningfloor

Do you mind telling me why the 2016 mbps DGPU is not good for audio? just curious as why a newer MacBook pro would be worse for a heavy task such as audio production.

15. tryrtryrtryrt Suspended

It's not that the dGPU itself is bad for audio. It's that in Macs dGPU has historically been the most frequent reason for failure of the whole laptop.

16. xb2003 macrumors 6502

xb2003

This is exactly right. If your work is critical, having one less thing that can go wrong at the worst possible time might be a blessing. And with the money you'd save, you could get well over half of a gaming PC that will run circles around the MBP for anything video.

17. Glisteningfloor thread starter macrumors newbie

Glisteningfloor

Thank you everybody who voiced they're opinion and the helpful knowledge you sprinkled on my brain. I will be buying the 2015 MacBook Pro. Adequate enough for more work and reliability I can count on. Thank you everyone

18. Charlesje macrumors member

Just keep in mind that the 2015 will make quite a lot more ventilation noise when performing under load (typical daw situation), which make it an impossible companion when recording in the same room. Also, the 2016 will perform about 15% faster, which can be a critical improvement for heavy plugin processing. But the price difference of course isn't small.