Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iNewbie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
I have a 15 inch 2015 MBP with Touchbar and I'm looking to replace my Mac Pro as it as my primary computer.

Currently on my Mac Pro I have 3 monitors.
One 27 Inch Apple Thunderbolt Display
Two Dell P2715Q Displays

I also have a Promise Pegasus 6TB Raid Array.

The MBP can drive these three monitors right? I know the specs say up to four displays with 4096x2304 resolution. These three should be under that total but I wanted to make sure. I would like keep the lid closed when "docked".

Can anyone recommend the best way to connect this? I don't mind buying a dock if need be. It looks like at most a the docks can only feed 2 external monitors. BUT if the dock is feeding 2 external monitors could it still handle the RAID array?

Can any one advice the best way to connect these 4 devices to my Mac Book Pro?

Thanks!!

svendobbelaere

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2012
Belgium
Can't you daisy-chain the Thunderbolt Display and the pegasus? That's what I do on my Mac mini 2012: a Thunderbolt Display has a thunderbolt port in which I plug the promise R6 (with 2 x thunderbolt 1 port);

On top of that, I think you could chain one of the Dells to the promise array with a DisplayPort cable (well, I think it needs to be Mini DisplayPort to be physically compatible with the thunderbolt 1 port). I tried this and it worked fine, but I only did this with a 1920 x 1080 monitor way back when. The Dells are higher res, I have no experience with that.

So:

1 x Thunderbolt 3 USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter plugged into the laptop
--> connect to thunderbolt cable of the Thunderbolt Display
--> connect promise raid to Thunderbolt Display second port
--> get a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable to connect one of the dells to the promise array

For the other dell you'll need a USB-C to DisplayPort adapter I'd guess.

That would use 2 ports.

iNewbie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Can't you daisy-chain the Thunderbolt Display and the pegasus? That's what I do on my Mac mini 2012: a Thunderbolt Display has a thunderbolt port in which I plug the promise R6 (with 2 x thunderbolt 1 port);

On top of that, I think you could chain one of the Dells to the promise array with a DisplayPort cable (well, I think it needs to be Mini DisplayPort to be physically compatible with the thunderbolt 1 port). I tried this and it worked fine, but I only did this with a 1920 x 1080 monitor way back when. The Dells are higher res, I have no experience with that.

So:

--> get a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable to connect one of the dells to the promise array

That would use 2 ports.
Thanks!! I did not think of factoring in daisy chaining. I never got that to work on my Mac Pro. I assume because of the 4k Monitors. On my Mac Pro I have to have all three connected direct into specific ports. If I move them around it stops working.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006

I don't think that will work, will it? From here:
If you're using all of the Thunderbolt ports on your Mac, you can still connect your display. Connect it to a port on a Thunderbolt peripheral that's connected to your Mac.

This should work for all Thunderbolt peripherals except for a Thunderbolt Display. Connect your display only at the end of the Thunderbolt chain. You can use only one Mini DisplayPort device in the Thunderbolt chain.

svendobbelaere

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2012
Belgium
Well, I don't know if it will work with a 4K display.

I know it worked for me in the following configuration with a regular display (1920 x 1080):

2012 Mac mini single thunderbolt 1 port
--> connected to Thunderbolt Display with the built-in cable of the display
--> promise pegasus R6 connected with an apple thunderbolt cable to the thunderbolt port on the Thunderbolt Display
--> Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter in the second port of the promise R6
--> DVI cable to 1920 to 1080 DVI 21" monitor.

It only worked if the promise raid was between the monitor and the Thunderbolt Display.

I think you have most of the stuff needed to try it, cable-wise. I'd just try it, honestly.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Thanks!! I did not think of factoring in daisy chaining. I never got that to work on my Mac Pro. I assume because of the 4k Monitors. On my Mac Pro I have to have all three connected direct into specific ports. If I move them around it stops working.

You have to be careful with daisy chaining because you can saturate the thunderbolt spec, which will result into slower speeds for your RAID.

Connect your highest bandwidth device to the dock or directly to the Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.