Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeme

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
Does anybody know of any charger that will charge the new MacBook Pro and has several USB ports to charge an iPhone and iPad?

I know 12 South makes a plug bug, but I wanted something with multiple ports, that would supply power to the MacBook Pro and 2+ USB ports. This seems like something easy to do?

Thanks in advance.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Depends on the MacBook size, there's a couple on Amazon just now but they only supply a maximum of 60w for power. Which is fine for the 13" but not very good for the 15".

If it's a 15" Belkin and OWC, among others, have Thunderbolt 3 docks coming soon. OWC is supposedly this month but none are available yet and they all cost around $300 upwards if I recall correctly.

There's also the ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Dock which is available now but I don't know about its MacBook compatibility. In theory I think it should work but you know what they say about theory's :D oh, and it only does 65w to the laptop as well, so not great for the 15"

Last edited:

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
The Anker PowerPort+ 5 is great and I've been using it for about a year now, with 12" MacBooks and now MacBook Pro. And it has been independently tested as safe, unlike many other third party USB-C chargers.

The total wattage is 60W, which is split between a USB-C port and four USB ports.

When plugged in to a late 2016 MacBook Pro, it will give 45W to the MacBook, and split the remaining 15W between the USB ports.

It's perfect for charging my MacBook Pro, and my partner and I's iPhones, iPads and Apple Watches while on the go, being about the same weight and size as the 61W Apple USB-C charger.

jeme

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
The Anker PowerPort+ 5 is great and I've been using it for about a year now, with 12" MacBooks and now MacBook Pro. And it has been independently tested as safe, unlike many other third party USB-C chargers.

The total wattage is 60W, which is split between a USB-C port and four USB ports.

When plugged in to a late 2016 MacBook Pro, it will give 45W to the MacBook, and split the remaining 15W between the USB ports.

It's perfect for charging my MacBook Pro, and my partner and I's iPhones, iPads and Apple Watches while on the go, being about the same weight and size as the 61W Apple USB-C charger.
So it is a 13 inch MBP. The 45 watts is enough?
[doublepost=1486454238][/doublepost]So the 45 watts is enough to charge the MBP?

Reactions: Brookzy

DanDilla

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2016
Lüneburg, Germany
Should be fine with 45w, as it's most likely using under 10w on idle, even my 15" does.

I'm using a 29w on the go and cables supporting not mare than 60w for a 15".
Charges definetly a little slower and the 29w is more like holding the charge on demanding tasks, but also filling up over time. And it's super small and light.

Will be more like 2hr instead of 1hr15min or so for a full charge if you go with the 45w, but won't damage your MacBook.

Reactions: Brookzy

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
I'll also add that not only is 45W plenty for 99% of 13" MacBook Pro users, but it's also the fastest I've ever got it to charge, even with the 61W adapter.

When idling the most I've been able to get the "charging with" value is about 44W. I guess that is the fastest the battery can accept charge and the other 16/17W is just overhead for when the machine is under load.

jeme

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
Ok excellent. I also thought of using a 29 watt apple charger. So you all are using those and they are working as well? Very good news. Thanks.

Reactions: DanDilla

jpma

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2009
Should be fine with 45w, as it's most likely using under 10w on idle, even my 15" does.

I'm using a 29w on the go and cables supporting not mare than 60w for a 15".
Charges definetly a little slower and the 29w is more like holding the charge on demanding tasks, but also filling up over time. And it's super small and light.

Will be more like 2hr instead of 1hr15min or so for a full charge if you go with the 45w, but won't damage your MacBook.

Hi,
I'm thinking of getting the 29w charger for my 15" too.
How does it hold it when charging?. Im fine with longer charge time but worry about not able to charge when I'm doing some heavy task.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.