2016 MacBook Pro CPU Crash Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pencilnink, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Pencilnink, Nov 20, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2016

Pencilnink macrumors member

Pencilnink

*** MCA Error Report ***
    CPU Machine Check Architecture Error Dump (CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6820HQ CPU @ 2.70GHz, CPUID: 0x506E3)
    CATERR detected! No MCA data found.

First Mac I've owned and was wondering if anyone encountered this with the new MacBooks? I haven't seen anyone mention issues other than with the 460 GPUs so I thought I'd ask.

The mbp was not under any heavy workload, it was just transferring files between two externals so I have no idea why it would crash like this, let alone happen twice. Pretty disappointing really.

Powering on after first crash, the guest account was reactivated and the desktop background defaulted to the mountain.

Powering on after second did the same thing + the touch bar was off and didn't come back till another reboot.

My spec is TB 512gb/16/455

2. LS417 macrumors regular

What hard drives?

I'm having same issue with all of my drives. My first machine was 13in TB i7/16gb/1TB , had it replaced and now having same issue on 13in TB i7/16gb/512Gb ..

I also have a 2016 non touch bar version that is NOT having these issues.

After testing on the 8+ macs and 2 windows machines I have laying around, I am only having issues with the TB macs, now two separate machines. I'm suspicious of the TB having affect on USB bus.

Anyone else?

3. Pencilnink thread starter macrumors member

Pencilnink

Both 2tb WD MyPassports. Sending drive is set as NTFS and receiving was recently converted to exfat to be used on both Mac and PC.

4. LS417 macrumors regular

Were they working at all? did it happen after some time transferring? Any info is helpful.

5. Pencilnink thread starter macrumors member

Pencilnink

I successfully transferred my Lightroom catalogue, to the external hdd with exfat, but while transferring actual raw photo files (about 1tb worth) it just fails randomly in the middle of the process.

Other than that it works fine and I can run the catalogue no problem.

These externals are less than a year old and have works flawlessly with my windows PCs.

6. LS417 macrumors regular

7. Pencilnink thread starter macrumors member

Pencilnink

I've actually tried two methods, USB-c adapters for each cable connected on separate ports and using my Anker USB-c hub.

8. Spoony Bard macrumors regular

I had that same crash with a USB 3 hard drive plugged in via the Apple USB-C to USB-A dongle. First and only crash over the 5 days I've used the machine. 15" 2016.

So yeah, looks like there's a problem with external drives... I'm hoping this a software problem.

9. OlrikMortimer macrumors newbie

Just joined to say I get the same error message with a TB 15in 16GB/1TB on long time machine backups. I tried 2 ports with 2 different hard drives. After 2 hours continuous backup, it crashes. My temporary solution was to filter files out and decrease my backup time to 1 hour. In this case, it always works. On the other hand I ran a time machine backup migration during initial setup that took more than 2 hours and it worked fine.

10. Pencilnink thread starter macrumors member

Pencilnink

I suppose it could be driver issues, being a brand new model and such. But I don't understand why such a mediocre task could bug out the CPU like that.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 20, 2016 ---
    I was thinking of doing that; albeit, it'd be a hassle to transfer 1tb of data with that method. lol

11. megatron2000, Nov 20, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2016

megatron2000 macrumors newbie

Same issue has occurred on my 15 in pro with TB. 2.6 CPU / 450 GPU /1TB. Time machine backup crashes when trying to connect to my external hard drive. Ive tried 2 different external drives a 4TB G-Tech and 2TB Toshiba and both failed. I ended up reducing the size of my backup and it finally worked, but when I try to reconnect the drive it crashes with the same error message. When left uncounted the computer runs without any issue. One thing to note is that I also have a time capsule that has successfully backed up the Mac Pro without any errors. The G-Tech drive was used for the initial migration from a previous time machine backup, and that completed without any issues.

12. paslax macrumors newbie

Same crash on my 2016 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar. 4TB Seagate Backup Plus USB3 external drive. It worked fine for transferring files initially. But the crashes began when I started using as a Time Machine backup destination.

13. LS417 macrumors regular

Did no one at apple plug an external drive in during testing???