2016 MacBook Pro dropping Bluetooth headsets

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by The Mac Doctor, Mar 15, 2017.

1. The Mac Doctor macrumors newbie

I own a 15inch 2016 MacBook Pro with touchbar. I have had issues getting it to connect for more than a few seconds to bluetooth headsets in macOS Sierra. The headsets that I have tried are the Bose Quietcomfort 35 , and Jaybirds bluebuds X. They work just fine with my iPhone and iPad.

I have tried restarting my MBP, re-pairing them, turning bluetooth on and off with no success. I have not tried any other bluetooth devices (cuz I don't have anything other than an iPhone and iPad)

Any suggestions?

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Do you have any potential sources of interference like a dock, adapter, or nearby electronic device?

3. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I have the Jaybirds X2's and they work great. No problems with dropping on my 15" 2016. My wife has a pair of the older X models. If you would like me to try it with hers, I can.

Otherwise, Sanpete's question is a good one. You may also wish to check your signal strength by following the steps outlined here.

http://osxdaily.com/2012/07/13/bluetooth-signal-strength-mac-os-x/

4. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

Spot-on, IMO. This is where I would start, personally.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201542

USB devices and cables can also interfere with Bluetooth and WiFi in some cases. Poorly shielded USB superspeed cables can wreak havoc on Bluetooth and 2.4 GHz WiFi.

5. The Mac Doctor thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm I didn't have much plugged in or around me. I do live in an apartment complex with a lot of wifi, but I don't think that a Wifi signal would interfere so much. Furthermore, why would my iPhone work but not MacBook Pro

6. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

2.4 GHz signals can cause Bluetooth interference in some cases, and multiple Bluetooth signals can interfere with each other, although it may not be the issue here. The device shielding can sometimes explain why one device is more sensitive to interference than another. For example, I had a Dell computer that was extremely sensitive to interference caused by power lines, where as my MacBook Pro at the time was not even remotely near as sensitive.

Out of curiosity, if you disable your WiFi, is the issue still present?
    If you relocate the computer to another room on the other side of the apartment, is the issue still present?
    Also, have you already tried resetting the PRAM & SMC for good measure?

7. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

Something else to try...

1. From the OS X desktop, hold down the Shift+Option keys and then click on the Bluetooth menu item to reveal the hidden Debug menu
    2. Select “Reset the Bluetooth module” from the Debug menu list
    3. When finished resetting, reboot the Mac as usual and go through the process of connecting the Bluetooth device(s) to the Mac.
    See if that resolves the issue

8. The Mac Doctor thread starter macrumors newbie

So I have tried the headsets at home, in a lobby, and Starbucks to no avail.

I will try resetting pram and smc tonight
    --- Post Merged, Mar 17, 2017 ---
    I will try this too tonight

9. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

Hopefully one of the suggested remedies will get you sorted. I am sure it is frustrating.

10. The Mac Doctor thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm I think I scared it straight XD

Decided to try it at work and so far it's functioning. Didn't do anything to it yet, so I wonder if something at home/building lobby/starbucks is messing with it.

Will attempt it again at home to see if it continues to be a problem there.

11. The Mac Doctor thread starter macrumors newbie

ok I'm like very confused but glad.... it works now somehow. I have literally not tried anything that was suggested...Has my MacBook Pro achieved sentience?

12. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

Hahaha. Intermittent issues are the worst to troubleshoot. It is so hard to pinpoint the cause. Hopefully it's behind you now and all is good :)