2016 Macbook Pro has 10bit display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by moiman, Nov 16, 2016.

1. moiman macrumors newbie

Got the 15 inch with 460 graphics and tested a gradient ramp on it today and it looks like the 2016 Macbook Pro has a 10 bit display, or at least a dithered 10 bits. Can anyone confirm if that's true?

I'm using the test ramp file from the following site:
    https://imagescience.com.au/knowledge/10-bit-output-support

2. moiman thread starter macrumors newbie

If true, it's a really nice upgrade for graphic designers and video editors. Apple only added 10 bit to macos last year.

Any way to know officially if the panel is 10 bit?

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Doesn't it have to be to support the P3 color space?
    But I think the software one uses also has to support it. The gradient test file you linked to above will display a nice smooth gradient in Photoshop but not in Pixelmator (which I don't think supports 10-bits per pixel yet).

4. thingstoponder macrumors 6502

thingstoponder

Are you sure? I thought pixel mator supported p3

5. xraydoc, Nov 28, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2016

xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Well, good question. The file shows pronounced banding on my new 13" ntMBP, so I presumed initially that it was Pixelmator's fault. Not sure otherwise. I don't own Photoshop to check.

Edit: When I open the .psd file in Pixelmator, it looks like a mess. Terrible gradient banding. When I open the file in Preview (I didn't realize it could open .psd files), it looks completely smooth.

6. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Not true. Numerous people here and myself confirm the display is driven by an 8bit driver but there is 10 bit output support if you have a professional monitor.

7. jenkm macrumors newbie

Is this for both integrated and discrete GPU?

8. xmonkey macrumors 6502a

Sys Info seems to imply the built-in LCD is only 8-bit. Curious how it's displaying the gradient ramp properly then...

I've confirmed the dGPU can output 10-bit.

9. thingstoponder macrumors 6502

thingstoponder

Interesting. Although that could just be a bug with PSD files specifically. The newest version of Pixelmator says it supports P3 and wide color displays.

10. Kcetech1, Nov 28, 2016

Kcetech1 macrumors regular

Intel IGP can not output 10 bit color. for 10 bit you need to use the dGPU output to an external screen unless there is a second hardware MUX. To my knowledge the ONLY 10 bit display in a laptop is the HP Zbook 17 with the DC3 Screen, or its predecessors going back to the 8760W or 8740W

11. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

There have been 10 bit displays in some Sony AW Series and Dell Precision in the past.

Unless one has a very narrow and specific need for 10-bit then it's not 100% necessary. Mac creatives have been using 8 bit output for years and still do.

If your working flow is for print then you need it even less because CMYK output has a smaller gamut than RGB.

If your working flow is for web then sRGB is the standard.

Wider gamut at present represents those who are really really fussy about certain hues and want to make sure the images maintain consistency across all media.

12. ulfertg, Nov 28, 2016

ulfertg macrumors newbie

ulfertg

I did some testing on the banding issues yesterday and discovered that even a MBPr late 13 didn't show banding with preview or Photoshop in Sierra.
    My best guess is that a very subtle dithering is applied.
    Makes 10bit almost superfluous imo.