2016 Macbook Pro Non-Touch vs or Touch?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bob8734, Jan 2, 2017.

1. bob8734, Jan 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  2. hululu macrumors member

hululu

i think im going to return my 13 touchbar for a non touchbar.

main reason is the battery is apparently a lot better on the non touchbar.

i do agree, 4 ports would be better, but thats all up to your actual usage

3. dmillar74 macrumors regular

I charged my 2016 nTB a few days ago at work. I unplugged it at 100% and simply closed the screen. I opened it today, 3 days later, it was at 99%. I used it for 4 hours using a spreadsheet program and browser. 4 hours later I was at 65%. Not bad!

4. raqball macrumors 6502a

raqball

I returned my TB for a nTB a few weeks ago and other than loosing the 2 ports, I don't miss the TB one bit! My TB got about 6 1/2 hours of battery life and my nTB is now getting 10 hours plus...

For my use I didn't see the value in the TB and for me at least, it was pure gimmick..

5. hululu macrumors member

hululu

great to hear. im getting the exact same battery on the touchbar 6.5H at best

6. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

How are the speakers on the non touch bar model?

7. skids929 macrumors 6502a

skids929

I have the TB model 13 and I love it and consistently get between 8-9 hours. If battery life is high up on you priority list then get the nTB for the extra hour or so. Otherwise there is no reason other than price to get the base model 13.

8. Qwe9203 macrumors member

The speakers are great.

9. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

I have had both, I found only an hour battery life at best difference between the 2. I easily get 8 plus hours on the TB for light use. I stuck with the TB.
    Screen Shot 2017-01-02 at 9.21.08 PM.png

10. skids929 macrumors 6502a

skids929

I did the same, side by side and the nTB wasn't that much better, maybe an hour, same use. You'd think it could part the Red Sea based on what people here say about it. It is cheaper, and if that's a concern I say get that one, otherwise I agree it's not that much better on battery life in my experience with both.

11. clunkmess macrumors 6502a

clunkmess

I'm loving my nTB 13" base model. I don't do any 'pro' tasks: i simply use iTunes, Messages, Safari, Counter-Strike and the occasional iMovie.

On my 2015 MacBook Pro, however, the battery indicator would display the time remaining on the battery but this one does not.

12. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

The time remaining thing is not from the macbook, but the software update. Apple updated Sierra to remove the battery life indicator for some reason.

I will throw my opinion in on this matter.... I had a touch bar 13 inch and returned it for the non touch bar because of the battery life. I would never consider going back. The non touch bar is a beast of a machine, and with it on sale at BH its a pretty sweet piece of tech. To be honest, I like the look of the physical buttons over the touch bar as well. That is just personal preference though.

Also, I feel like people who say there is not a big battery difference are those who want to justify their shiny touch bar to be honest. The difference is SIGNIFICANT, and in real world usage I get about 2 hours more out of this battery than I did the touch bar model... maybe even more sometimes. I get that the touch bar is a nice little status symbol, but that battery life is a joke.

13. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

I agree to some extent but at the same time I feel like everybody who switched to the nTB from the TB also are gushing partly because they saved money. I haven't found any objective opinions who switched models to a comparable priced version. I feel like the people who are singing the high praises did gain some battery life but are also happy about saving money.

The question is whether if they were both the same price, if anybody would really opt for the nTB model. My gut says no.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm a non-owner (of a 2016 model), but if I were to choose between the non-TB and the TB model, I'd opt for the Touch Bar based purely because I'm paying a lot of money for the computer, I might as well get some new features for that price. Also the TB model uses a faster processor, so I'll get the most performance for my dollar.

15. heyyitssusan macrumors 65816

I've been debating between non touch and touch as well and I'm glad you mentioned that. It seems like the non touch is a great machine for the money. I have a 2012 non retina MBP and this will be a huge upgrade for it.

16. skids929 macrumors 6502a

skids929

You are over stating what the truth really is here....Like I said I tried both, I am thinking you got a bad TB model. My work flow is pretty basic internet and videos etc, and to me the difference in the two was only an hour maybe hour and half better of battery life. I now have what is my fourth (and last) 2016 MBP (tested out a 15 inch as well) and I have got the same performance out of each. There is NOT a significant difference in battery life, there is about an 1 to 1.5 hour difference and for a lot of folks between 8-9 hours total is all that is needed.I am one of them, so the TB model works well for me. I charge this thing about every two days after a lot of open and close lid activity throughout the day. I do not feel in any way that the battery life of the TB model is an issue and conflicts with the portability advantages of the 13 inch machine.

So to trade an 1/10th of the total battery life for a better processor, more ports and the TB I believe that to be the better long term decision, and resale if one ever needed to sell. But as I said, if battery life is top priority by all means get the nTB model. I plan to keep this for a long period of time, unless Apple releases some groundbreaking update to the MBP line, which I highly doubt will happen. But if it does, resale on the TB model will likely be better.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 3, 2017 ---

This is true.