Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunsetblow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
When I move my hand palm across the two parts to the left and right of the trackpad, I feel a weird vibration like a really low-level charge in my hand.

Weirdest yet it only happens when the laptop is on my lap. Not when I left it up, or when it's on a desk.

Anyone else experience this?

effineji

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2017
Germany
When I move my hand palm across the two parts to the left and right of the trackpad, I feel a weird vibration like a really low-level charge in my hand.

Weirdest yet it only happens when the laptop is on my lap. Not when I left it up, or when it's on a desk.

I had this with my 2010 MacBook Pro. I think there was some kind of current leaking from it. I'm not feeling it on my MacBook though.

shansoft

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2011
Because since 2016, Apple decided to cheap out and not to include the grounding cable, so the current pass through your palm as you touch the computer, which you feel the vibration.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
You can resolve the issue by changing the duck head to the extension cable. That does carry earth.

gim

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014

Almost EVERY European MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air user experiences this. The plugs that Apple sells here don't carry earth, and that's been the case for at least 4-5 years. I didn't have a MacBook before, so maybe even longer.
Not sure about the extension cord though.

Besides, this really is a non-issue.

sunsetblow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
Oh wow. Thanks everyone.. very messed up. I am traveling at the moment with the shorter cable and in Asia so that explains why I'm experiencing it all of a sudden.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.