2016 MacBookPro Keyboard Scratching Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nomad110, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Nomad110 macrumors member

Hey Guys,

After spending $4,200 on a fully spec-ed out MBP 15" I'm a little more paranoid then normal about keeping it looking it's best since I'm going to have this model for a while. In the past I have always had a keyboard cloth that would sit between the keys and the screen to protect it from micro-abrasion which was an issue on the previous gen MacBookPro's. The best cloth I found was sold by RadTech and have been a loyal customer for years. I just got the 15" MBP yesterday and found the screen and keys sit so close together that you really can't put even the thinest cloth RadTech makes between the keys. It even seems to put strain on the hinge of the screen. So unless they come out with a insanely thin cloth I'm thinking this model might need to go protectionless. This begs the questions to other 2016 MBP users if they have noticed that the keys are capable of impacting the screen or not? Any concerns here?

Thanks

2. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

I've never had issues in the past 8 years of owning macs. Never kept anything between the screen and the keyboard. They are designed never to touch

3. fate0311 macrumors 6502

4. Nomad110 thread starter macrumors member

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I ordered the Radtech cloth for my late 2016 MBP. Won't get here until the end of the month. I have a Radtech cloth for my late 2011 and never had a problem. If the new cloth ends up being a problem, I will use the insert that came with the Mac in shipping until I figure something else out.

6. Nomad110 thread starter macrumors member

Interestingly enough the cloth that I bought from RadTech for the 2015 MacBookPro is way too thick. I hope RadTech doesn't just trim that one down to fit. It needs to be much much thinner. I hope they get it right and don't jump the gun.

7. uptownnyc macrumors 6502

Have the non-TB 13" and this morning I noticed a mark on the screen that appears to line up with the small notch on the J key. In the past, I've also used a RadTech pad on my laptop. Looks like these may need it as-well.

8. Nomad110 thread starter macrumors member

What kind of bag do you use?

9. ascender macrumors 68020

I've never had a problem with this in 15+ years of Mac Laptops and can't see any marks at all on the non-touchbar 13" here.

10. Baldrake macrumors 6502

I've actually had the opposite problem. One day with my 2012 rMBP, I had the laptop closed with a radtech cloth. Somehow it didn't turn off properly, and by the time I opened it again, the cloth had melted. Since then I've used nothing, and no problems at all.

11. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

Instead of a screen cloth, I would just get a screen protector for the screen.

12. uptownnyc macrumors 6502

Wouldn't that remain on the screen at all times? I prefer not to change the appearance when in-use.

13. bbates123 macrumors 6502

On my 2013 rMBP I can definitely see the outlines of the keys on the screen so it does happen. Maybe it depends on how much you travel, what you put your laptop in, and how much pressure that applies to the lid. I'm hoping with the shallower keys that this won't be an issue on the new Macbooks.