2016 MB Pro 1 year review and update

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Scorned, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Scorned macrumors newbie

Scorned

I bought my first MBP when it first came out. I bought the AppleCare plan with it (never thought I would need it)

I exchanged it within three weeks due to the keyboard not fully functioning.

The keyboard and keys not fully working was a recurrent problem. I solved it by dealing with it and using compressed air to aggressively blow out the keyboard. The compressed air worked for me every time.

The USB C connectors became "loose" and would not always work without some coaxing after about month two.

The speakers started having distortion after about month four.

The screen started showing lines in it and became progressively worse until it was not longer usable at the one year point. Picture attached.

I contacted Apple to send my computer in for repair as it was not usable. They mailed me a box and I sent it. I was expecting them to find a way to not honor the warranty and was anticipating a large bill for repair. I was debating on going back to, dare I say, Windows.

48 hours later FedEx delivers my repaired computer to my house. I open it up and it is brand new.

I was shocked. I never for one second thought that they would repair it without a bill or send me a new one. Apple actually made me speechless.

Apple stood by their product.

I anticipate that the same keyboard issues and USB C connection problems will reappear, but at least I know what to expect.

Would I buy it again? Yes. Even knowing of the hardware problems, it is still better for me than any Windows based machine.

I would like a touch screen. Hey Apple, maybe 2019????

Attached Files:

2. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Unless you had clear signs of accidental damage, and if you're in warranty, Apple is usually very good about righting these issues. Sometimes even outside of warranty, but of course your mileage may very.

Glad to hear you're all patched up.

3. macdudesir macrumors 6502

That is one thing Apple has always had going for it, amazing customer service...And they do not seem to have slumped on that one bit even as they become a giant company...Sorry you had issues in the first place though. Hope the new machine is better for you...Out of curiosity, did they replace it with a 2017 machine, or is it still a 2016?

4. Scorned thread starter macrumors newbie

Scorned

They sent me a 2016. I am more than happy with their service. I am very hard on my MBP and have never babied it.

5. thatshellacool macrumors newbie

I have a 2017 MBP with TB. I spilled a very small amount of water onto the keyboard- immediately turned it off and flipped it upside down. A few hours later it started up fine, and showed no signs of damage. However about 12 hours later, the trackpad started cutting in and out. At times it would start "clicking" several times a second with even the brush of my palm. Sometimes it would stop responding altogether and I had to either wait or reset the SMC. Finally, about a week and a half after the first small spill, it went completely dead. No lights, fans, nothing. Called Apple up to send it in because I didn't have time to go spend at the Apple store. I do have AppleCare + on it and figured I would have to pay the deductible for accidental water damage for them to repair.

Fast forward 36 hours after dropping laptop off at FedEx- I had my laptop back and sitting at the door. No calls or questions about water damage. Note- I did reference the potential for water damage to the rep I spoke with when sending it in. I figured honestly is the best policy. Glad I did, while I got the same machine back (only known because I have a matte screen protector on it, which was still there 36 hours later) it mentioned logic board replacement, no cost. No problems since. My thoughts? They pitied me for only having the machine for a month before I killed it, they respected my honesty and made a "good will" repair, or despite the water damage, none of the indicators were affected.