2016 MB pro 13" running hot playing fulll screen video

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wackymacky, Apr 15, 2017.

1. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

I have a 2016 13" MacBook Pro with the
    3.1GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 CPU and 16 gig ram.

I have the latest release of Sierra installed.

When I play YouTube videos in full screen either with safari or Firefox after about 3 min the computer starts to get hot to touch across middle of number keys, and the fans kick in wurring loudly.

(This is without any other apps running)

Soon as I quit out of full screen mode it settles down

Can't open activity monitor in full
    Screen mode. Obviously if I do so with videos playing normally I'm only running with 10% CPU usage.

I'm not sure if it's a hardware fault or software glitch that will sort it self out with an update.

Given that it's behaving ok otherwise I don't think apple will find a fault to fix.

2. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

I seen the same. The solution is a computer pad with built in USB powered cooling fans,should be available in computer/consumer electronic stores or on the internet. I ordered mine from clasohlsson.se.

3. fokmik macrumors 68000

you need kaby lake cpu that has codecs. so since you are on skylake its normal,unless its too hot...i mean warm its totally normal but hard to touch is not

4. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Kanu lake will probably solve it,but still,a cheap cooling pad do the job as well.

5. TheOkeland macrumors member

You could play a bit around with the Resolution, maybe this can solve your problem. Sadly Skylake does not support 10bit H.265 Hardware-encoding/-decoding. Only 8bit-H.265 encoding/decoding is supported natively.
    But 1440p or maybe something between 1440p and 4k could work without problems. Actually my early-2011 MBP becomes quite hot while watching 1440p-resoulution.
    Lower resolutions? no problem.

6. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Of course you can adjust settings,but the best thing,that's also is easiest,is to add extra cooling with a cooling pad.

7. Sanpete macrumors 68020

This isn't primarily about codecs if it's only an issue in full-screen mode, and I doubt very much the OP is playing h.265 videos from Youtube. The codecs are fully read at whatever resolution Youtube is sending no matter the way the video is displayed.

OP, what resolution are the videos you're watching?

8. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Full screen YouTube has been buggy as hell for me as well (seemingly since YouTube changed the codecs - not sure if it is related though) with Safari Web Content crashing all the time.

9. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Which suggests using Chrome or some other browser than Safari and Firefox might help.

10. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

I'd rather do without full screen YouTube for a while than use Chrome... ;)

(But yes, it works fine in Chrome at 4K.)

11. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Obviously someone misunderstood something here,but for me,a overheating but fully working computer mean one thing,it need better cooling. As I posted here earlier,I had similar problems,all I did,was adding a cheap cooling pad with built in fan,and the computer had not overheated since.

12. wackymacky thread starter macrumors 68000

wackymacky

It seems a bit ludicrous though to consider needing extra cooling to watch streaming video on a 2016 "pro" laptop. It isn't as though I'm trying to game on it or anything :rolleyes:

13. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Depends on environment. And besides,apple never been a movie machine,even if it does that too when needed.

14. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

If its using flash video, its a resource hog especially in chrome, you can use add-ons to turn off flash and run in HTML 5 instead. of course if its running 4K video it has to downscale it to the actual screen pixel size and this will cause heat and noise as it will be working pretty damn hard to do that on the fly.