2016 MBP 13" w/TB - Suspected Hard Drive Failure

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crystalseth, Apr 9, 2018.

1. crystalseth macrumors member

crystalseth

Hi, all!

My late 2016 MBP 13" w/TB has run into some serious snags this weekend. On Saturday, Safari began crashing frequently to the point of being unusable, and the machine itself would restart every so often. I let the system somewhat stabilize itself before deciding to upgrade to High Sierra to see if that might help (I was running the last version of Sierra before HS, I believe). That probably was my first mistake, but I'm not exceptionally well-versed in tech (obviously).

The update did not complete (I assume another crash), and my MBP booted up with the gray "?" folder - unable to find a startup disk. I tried reinstalling High Sierra in recovery mode, it ended up sitting on "about one minute" remaining for more than 10 hours. Tried erasing the internal drive in Disk Utility and reinstalling, stuck on "one hour and 24 minutes remaining" for over 10 hours. Now, my MBP only boots into internet recovery mode and informs me that macOS has failed to install (not a surprise).

I'm sure I screwed up along the way, so feel free to call me an idiot for that and for not having any backups because it's true. I'm not concerned about data I've lost; I'd just like to have my computer back. Is there any chance that creating a bootable USB installer could help at this point?

Thanks!!

2. leman macrumors G3

If your SSD is gone its gone and you'll need to have the logic board replaced. You can run the apple's hardware diagnostics tool (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731) to check for issues, and after thats its straight to the service center I am afraid...

3. crystalseth thread starter macrumors member

crystalseth

Also, would there be any worth in sending the device back to Apple for repair? I'm out of the original warranty and neglected to pick up AppleCare (a mistake I won't make again). I know the drive is soldered to the logic board so the whole thing needs replaced. I live hours from the nearest Apple stores, so I would need to ship it in. Am I better off going the route of a cheaper replacement than a repair? (I've been considering maybe using an iPad Pro as my needs aren't too extreme.)

4. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

"Is there any chance that creating a bootable USB installer could help at this point?"

Yes.
    Why don't you try that?

Do this:
    1. You need a USB flashdrive 8gb or 16gb
    2. You need the free little app "Boot Buddy":
    Boot Buddy – sqwarq
    3. You need a copy of the OS installer
    Use BB to create the flashdrive -- this takes only a few clicks of the mouse.

Next -- boot the Mac using the flashdrive.
    If you're "not concerned" about the data on the drive, I suggest that when the installer opens, you quit it.
    Instead, open Disk Utility and ERASE your internal drive. NUKE IT BACK TO "ZERO", then start over.
    Now, re-open the OS installer and give it a go.
    There may be one or more reboots during the install process -- this is normal.
    When done, you should be presented with an initial setup screen, same as when you booted the MacBook for the first time...

5. crystalseth thread starter macrumors member

crystalseth

That's what I've been suspecting :( I'll try the diagnostics tool when I get home - thank you!

6. crystalseth thread starter macrumors member

crystalseth

I will absolutely be trying that using my iMac at work before I head home tonight. Do I need to reformat the flash drive before creating the installer?

7. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

"Do I need to reformat the flash drive before creating the installer?"

I believe the USB installer tools like Boot Buddy "do this for you", but not sure.
    To be on the safe side, ERASE the USB flashdrive first using Disk Utility.
    Choose Mac OS extended with journaling enabled.

8. crystalseth thread starter macrumors member

crystalseth

Great, thank you! Just created the installer successfully, hoping for equally good luck later on.

9. crystalseth thread starter macrumors member

crystalseth

The USB installer got me much further than before, but High Sierra still failed to install. Running the diagnostics tool returned reference code PM002 - quoted as a “problem with a memory module,” although Apple’s support site claims it’s “an issue with the onboard memory” in general. I’m guessing my only option is reaching out to Apple now, correct? :/

10. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

I wish you the best of luck, should not be happening to an Apple product but as you can tell from other posts, the quality has gone down for the 2016 and 2017's. Maybe if you contact chat support, they will be nice and help

11. crystalseth thread starter macrumors member

crystalseth

Spoke with support, I can have the logic board replaced for $524.65 at a flat rate (which is less than I expected). Has anybody had any experience with Apple’s repairs? Do they hold up?

I don’t mind paying this price if it’ll hold up. I know that nobody knows for sure, just want a feel for the repair work from the depot.

12. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

There should be warranty on the repair. I think it is 3 months but pls confirm with Apple support.
    Whether it holds up beyond that is anybody's guess.

13. crystalseth thread starter macrumors member

crystalseth

You’re right, it is 90 days. I know that no one can possibly predict how a repair will go. I just wondered if anyone had received long-term success from a depot repair.

14. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

It depends on the kind of failure. Memory failures are rare. SSD failures do occur.

Relying on my company's experience with these MBPs and reading the experiences posted here, there is a chance the laptop might fail for a completely different reason after it is back from repair. These laptops are difficult to repair.

15. Miltz macrumors 6502a

That's the same price I was quote to replace my 2016 keyboard when it failed. I think the price is excellent considering it's the logic board. I think it's worth fixing based on the price alone? It's fair to assume you have no other issues including keyboard right?

16. crystalseth thread starter macrumors member

crystalseth

My thoughts exactly. I went ahead and agreed to the repair. My keyboard has been absolutely fine. I’m not positive on the state of my SSD; it seems okay, but I’m not sure. Definitely a RAM issue, but I’m assuming a logic board replacement will address all of that. It’s possible I could be quoted a higher price upon intake at the depot, but I’m not too upset about the flat rate price. Fingers crossed!