2016 MBP 15" owners - Post your temps!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleCyclist, Nov 21, 2016.

1. AppleCyclist macrumors newbie

AppleCyclist

I am about to pull the trigger on a 2016 MacBook Pro 15" with the Radeon 450 GPU. I would use it for work and while using my Tacx Neo smart trainer with a program called Zwift for cycling. I'm curious how the MBP would hold up to displaying Zwift, which is like a 3D game, for 1 to 2 hours during training sessions. I'm a serious cyclist and would be using it 4 to 6 times a week for 1 to 2 hours.

Previously my older 2012 MBP would get up to 100*C after just 20 to 30 minutes! I had to retire it.

I'm wondering what load temps are like for the new models. Can anyone comment on this and run benchmarks or graphically intense apps for extended periods. I'm not seeing reviewers comment on temps on these machines.

2. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

Here's a 100% CPU load test (not as good as Prime95 with FFT but still):

[​IMG]

And a 2015 rMBP 15" with iGPU only under the same 100% CPU stress test in the same environment:

[​IMG]

The sole fact that I wasn't even able to maximize rpm with default fan curves on the new 2016 machine is a good sign (I had to put some load on iGPU to push the TDP up to reach the state from the first screenshot). Its cooling system is definitely more capable.

3. AppleCyclist thread starter macrumors newbie

AppleCyclist

Wow! Thank you for this!! My old machine would get so hot that I was afraid of killing it prematurely. This was exactly the info I needed, thanks again!! :)

4. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

If you had a cMBP 2012, then it's understandable. in rMBP apple improved thermal paste, heatpipe and significantly reduced airflow resistance by adding side intakes and adding more space for exhaust (alas the radiator area was decreased a bit due to thickness contraints). Older unibody design suffered from those limitations and I was never a fan of those.

If you had a rMBP 2012, then 100C is only possible in two cases: high-end configuration (2.6Ghz+ models) where processors ran a bit hotter or some degradation of cooling system, like dry thermal paste or dust in radiator. I've just replaced thermal interface on my rMBP and I'm getting 86C max under load instead of 100C+. Thermal paste application process and heatsink retention force are crucial!

5. Charlesje macrumors member

Nice results maratus! The lower temp, and consequently quiter cooling and higher. performance under load is what skylake should bring. What config is your system exactly?

6. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

That's not my system, I just tested a display unit. It was a 2.6GHz / Pro 450 / 256GB model.

7. dk808 macrumors 6502a

Is the 2016 mbp using the dgpu or the igpu?

8. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

It was using iGPU