2016 MBP 15" Radeon 460 - Login Glitch - Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jng204, Nov 23, 2016.

1. jng204 macrumors newbie

Received my 2016 MBP 15" with the upgraded Radeon Pro 460 and I'm getting this glitch every time I login.

Who else is experiencing this?

I've tried the NVRAM reset and it did not help. Any other suggestions that may resolve?

Called Apple support and they told me I could return this unit within 14 days of arrival but would have to reorder and wait (end of December). I asked if I could keep this unit till the new one arrives and they said no.

Thank you,
    Josh

MacBook Pro 15 2016.jpg

2. igrover macrumors regular

igrover

I had/have the same problem and it is not restricted to the 460. It happens if you have File Vault turned on.

I picked up a 15" with the 460 last week and had the same problem. I though it was a 460 problem so I returned it. Today I picked up a 15" with the 455 graphics chip as I could not wait for a BTO to arrive. Same problem. Saw another thread that mentioned the problem was tied to File Vault so I turned off File Vault and the problem went away. Turn it back on and the problem reappeared.

3. airlied macrumors 6502

airlied

It seems many people had/have this issue. and I had this issue 7 year ago(2009 17' MBP) and 5 years ago (2012 non-retina 15' MBP). all related to image glitch and they turned out to be hardware failure (graphic card overheat or malfunctions).

That's the main reason I dont buy any apple laptop at day one. I have to wait long enough until people like you tested all the potential problems.

BTW I can't 100% sure this is hardware issue but at least 90% sure. it's gonna be graphic chip.

Return it and get a new one, if you cannot wait, just return it and get a non-customized model (it seems majority problems I saw are about Radeon Pro 460)

Thanks.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 23, 2016 ---
    BTW the bezel looks really thin, I didnt realise this (even when watching unboxing vids) until seeing your pic.

4. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

5. BenTrovato macrumors 68030

BenTrovato

Technically you can return the MBP until January 8th if you received it after Nov 10th. So order a new one now and return the one you have as late as possible. Apple said no to me on the phone but then I asked them about the holiday policy and thy agreed I have until January 8th.

6. powerocool macrumors 6502

powerocool

It must be file vault related. I have 2 machines with 460 both had the same glitch. I think it's software related, it's ok.

7. jng204 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I turned off FileVault but actually still had a glitch but it wasn't as bad.
    That's good to know. I received my unit on Nov 15 but wasn't sure if I was in the window to receive the holiday return policy.
    Just did a quick measurement and it appears to be right at 0.9mm on the left and right sides.

The MBP is also getting the system hang for a few seconds, then restarts. The problem report states its a CPU Machine Check Architecture Error Dump. 1st major Apple purchase with issues.

8. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

I'm experiencing this too on a 450 with FileVault turned on. Hoping it's software related.