2016 MbP 15'' Screen Brightness

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UntitledImage, Dec 9, 2016.

1. UntitledImage macrumors regular

UntitledImage

I just got my maxed out 15'' yesterday. Haven't had any time to put it through its paces yes, but no defects right off.

My question is about the screen brightness. I know thees were suppose to be brighter I but I have it at nearly max to get to where my 2015 iMac is. My iMac is about 75%, and the MacBook is 3 clicks away from full brightness but is a little under the iMac. It's been a while since I've had a MacBook, is this normal on these?

2. Macalway, Dec 9, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2016

Macalway macrumors 68000

I noticed this also. It may be due to the antireflective coating, which the iMac doesn't have. They need to be measured, as Apple clearly says 500 nits.

3. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

I normally ran my 2015 13 at 40% but with my maxed 2016 15 I have to run at 60%

4. UntitledImage thread starter macrumors regular

UntitledImage

So whats with that then? I tested it out a bit today and yeah, I'm cranking it all the way to to feel like I'm not straining to see in my office, there's 3 60watt standard bulbs in here, its not daylight, its about average.

5. augenleet macrumors member

I feel like the brightness on the scale is distributed a little unevenly. While the maximum is really bright, in a normal, indoor environment I always want to stay near that maximum (around 3 ticks away) to have a pleasant brightness.

6. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

I have to run it at about 80% brightness. When I drop it lower, it feels like it doesn't make a difference if it's at 75 or 25%. At night, it's difficult to get a comfortable brightness level.

7. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

Take this as anecdotal experience, but my MBP seems a bit brighter than my 2014 iMac 5K. If you have a 2015. model, I do believe that one is a bit brighter than the 2014, so possibly brighter than the MBP. I don't know how much, but I wouldn't be surprised that it's brighter than the new MBP. It's also a larger surface, so that comes into play as well, when it comest to perception - if you really want to check it out, do it with measuring equipment, don't rely on your eyes :D Also, the iMac 2015 has an amazing P3 screen too, it's one of the best on Apple devices, so you're comparing the best desktop screen with the best laptop screen. In my experience, desktop screens are usually brighter.

What I can say is - the new MBP is certainly a LOT brighter than the previous MBP.

8. UntitledImage thread starter macrumors regular

UntitledImage

Yes, true! The iMac is calibrated and set to the brightness acording ambient light in the room recommended through my spyder, the MacBook isn't calibrated yet, I was just eyeballing it for a quick comparison before I have time to set it up proper. I was trying to roughly match brightness so I could compare image viewing experience..... which was where I noted it. I'm making the decsion whether I should go mobile or stay tied to a desk all the time. :) ones going by the end of next week. It's about 50/50 so far.